Intel heads to the land of celebrities as NCTA’s Cable Show lands in Los Angeles this year. Rotating between Chicago, Boston, Washington DC, and LA, The Cable Show brings together the North American cable service provider industry execs to see the latest developments in the cable industry. This industry has seen its share of changes over the last few years between technology advances, consumer expectations, and industry consolidation. Intel has solutions for service providers from cloud media services in their data centers to home gateways to devices that allow you to watch your favorite TV shows. Here’s a little bit of what Intel is talking about this week at Cable Show.
- Pay TV service providers are bringing the TV viewing experience to PC’s including our innovative All-In-One and Ultrabook™ platforms. The combination of touch capability, premium resolution screens, and Wi-Fi make Intel-based platforms great TV consumption devices that are ideally suited to be take-anywhere TV’s. Intel and Cox have collaborated on a DLNA CVP-2 enabled application that can stream the full live TV lineup and DVR content from a set-top box to a PC in the home using Cox’s innovative Contour Guide. We are also showing Comcast’s XFINITY TV which streams live TV directly from the cloud to PC’s in the home.
Smart Home Services Gateway
- How do you take a networking gateway and turn it into an ‘Internet of Things’ Services Gateway? An Intel® Puma™ 6 smart home gateway enables service providers to expand the delivery of additional services beyond broadband, voice, and TV. Using Intel® Virtualization Technology operators can securely and reliably deploy new revenue generating services like home security, home automation, energy management, and more while core functions like RDK remain isolated and secure.
4K Video Gateway
- Intel® Puma™ 6 gateways can support top speeds to deliver new capabilities like Ultra HD. Working with ViXS, we are demonstrating a headed video gateway that pairs Puma™ 6MG with the ViXS XCode 6400 and supports 4k 10bit HEVC decode, RDK, and multi-screen video streaming.
4K HEVC Live Encoder
- Intel can power 4K from the cloud to the home as we demonstrate how powerful Intel-based media servers in the data center can encode multiple formats on demand including HEVC 4K. Intel’s 4th gen Core™ Processor’s (codenamed Haswell) support 4K today – we’ll show how Intel platforms decode 4K HEVC content and output to a large 4K TV.
- Partnering with the cable industry, Intel is proud our DOCSIS 3.1 spec contributions are leading to 5 Gigabit broadband speeds while preserving MSO infrastructure investments.