Moore’s Law in the palm of your hand

core_2.jpg

We took the silicon core of an Intel Core 2 Duo microprocessor, a camera and a microphone to the Las Vegas Strip here at CES 2008… and asked people ‘What is this thing?”

See the reactions for yourself.

For those who haven’t seen one, they’re quite beautiful and extraordinary. Fans of good design will marvel at the mind-boggling intricacy of 400-million transistors in about the size of a dime. All brought to you by Intel’s leading 45nm process technology.

Transistors are the tiny switches that process the ones and zeroes of the digital world. They make everything on the Internet and in your computer possible… including this sentence.

For comparison, approximately 400 of Intel’s 45nm transistors could fit on the surface of a single human red blood cell.

Bryan Rhoads

About Bryan Rhoads

Founding member of the Intel Social Media Center of Excellence. Global social media manager for our consumer audiences and brands. I helped pioneer social media techniques that laid the foundations for Intel to leverage Web 2.0. I designed and built this external blog at http://blogs.intel.com, establishing the infrastructure, legal, security and publishing guidelines that integrated social media into Intel's marketing mix. I led a 4-year research project with MIT that researched online trust and digital marketing strategies. My Intel and MIT researchers designed innovative approaches to increase user confidence and trust in online media experiences. I'm also the designer of the Intel Download Center and many highly-trafficked sections of Intel's web systems. Lecturer on digital innovation and social media at the Yale Center for Customer Insights, MIT Center for Digital Business, Innotech, SxSW Interactive, the Marketing Sciences Institute, the Experiential Marketing Summit, to name a few. Adjunct faculty at Portland State University, I also sit on the Executive Board of the Internet Strategy Forum, the Center for Consumer Research at St. Joseph's University, the Marketing Advisory Track at Northeastern University and a member of the City Club of Portland.

14 Responses to Moore’s Law in the palm of your hand

1. Steven says:

What the guy actually handed the people was only a part (silicon core) of an Intel Core 2 Duo chip… not the entire thing. This video descriptiong even tells us that. If he had handed me the finished product I would have known exactly what it was. I bet others would have too.

2. jayasurya das says:

intel’s next 32 nm and 22nm process will scale down the size of the chip and more than 400 million transistors of course will fit on the surface of a single human red blood cell.

3. Richard says:

Yo, Steven, That IS atually the *WHOLE* *THING*! The “rest of it” is only the package which takes several different forms, but these days resembles a small, green printed-circuit board.

4. Alex says:

Whatever it’s the future is with intel and the new Quantum technology. Ahh I can’t wait to see a quantum computer I give about 5-10 years to be completed developed. I hope Intel is enthusiast about it too.

5. Luis says:

hmmm…I really wonder how much smaller can it go. Well I’m looking forward to the Nano-technology to help improve the obstacles of making transistors smaller, my hopes are set on Carbon Nanotubes to overcome the shrinking size problem!! i’ll give them about 8 more years for that to happen though

6. Anonymous says:

Just like Steven, (two comments below) that is just the core, not the entire finished product, and cores that small are not so remarkable they have been around from quite a while. When Intel makes a finished product that small ( ready to stick into a motherboard then I’ll be impressed.

7. Atom is an amazing step forward as much for it’s low price point as for the use of 45 nm technology. It is ushering in an era of mobility and net meshing that will be ubiquitous in a few years. Having said that, 5 years from now, with advent of CPUs with hundreds of cores and several orders of magnitude of greater processing power (and the attendant advances in applications like seamless AI and augmented reality), today’s bleeding edge products will seem like antiques. If you’re interested in the latest news on ultraportable computers check out http://backpackcomputing.com