Gaming on Integrated Graphics: No Longer Crazy Talk

Intel has launched new drivers for its G965 integrated graphics chipset. But what does this mean?

Traditionally, integrated graphics have been the weaklings of the graphics world – sure there are a lot of them sold, but traditionally they have been practically useless for 3D gaming. Until now that is – G965 has grown some muscle…

See the video below.

Intel has never marketed integrated graphics to gamers who demand great 3D performance (that is what PCI-Express is for) – but we have said that it is suitable for casual gaming. The graphics core in Intel’s G965 is actually very advanced – based on 8 programmable micro-execution engines. You can program these execution engines to do whatever you like, including pixel and vertex shading.

Now, we come to the main issue – until very recently, Intel’s G965 software drivers did not support hardware vertex shading, but rather let the CPU do the work instead (we have very powerful CPU’s so this translates into fabulous 3DMark scores, and great performance on some games). But quite a few of the latest and most popular games require hardware vertex shaders and so this approach had an Achilles Heel.

Some in the press has bemoaned the lack of this functionality – some others ignored the fact that most people use integrated graphics for business use and or video – areas where the chip shines: Full WHQL support existed for Vista’s Aeroglass from the word go, and Intel’s little wonder boasts the type of video quality you should expect from advanced discrete cards with scores around 95 in the HQV benchmark. All this from a part that effectively costs you less that lunch at the company canteen. (The price difference between the G965 and P965 chipsets is tiny, about the cost of a visit to Starbucks, the cost in power use is also small).

But the release of the latest Windows XP drivers changes things quite considerably by introducing support for hardware vertex shading. So if you want better performance for free just +XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21″>here. The driver will also support the mobile chipset and upcoming Intel G35 chipset.

I visited Intel’s graphics labs where Mike Abel showed me some demos – see the video:

More good news is that the driver boys have implemented a cool new switching technology that automatically switches between hardware and software vertex shading depending on the application to give you the benefit of optimum performance. Nifty eh?

PS: The equivalent Vista drivers will be out soon.

PPS: If the video above doesn’t work in your browser – there is a youtube version, just click here.

200 Responses to Gaming on Integrated Graphics: No Longer Crazy Talk

1. firesuite says:

Mark Rein from Epic said a short time ago that Intel will kill the PC gaming market with its onboard video chipsets, im inclined to agree with him here if they carry on the way there going. Personally i think they should leave it to the big boys. I mean all those games are hardly cutting edge by todays standards. And no Vista improvement yet… wonder how far they are away from DX10…

2. That is assuming that all PC’s sold are meant for the gaming market. Many customers do not wish to spend an extra $600 and 180 watts for a graphics card just in case they want to play a game one day. This way potential gamers get enough graphics power to casually play a game or two – and then upgrade to a graphics card if they like (the chipset support a x16 PCI-Express slot). No one is tying anyone down to integrated graphics – the object of the exercise is choice.

3. xtraSico says:

It’s great to see that kind of performance on an onboard video chip. As Nick said, it is a matter of choice. I am 36yo and in my PC there has to be a HQ video card because I play a lot of games, like TES Series (Oblivion), Splinter Cell Series, Prince of Persia series… But in my kids pc’s I can benefict from this because all they do is surf the web, chat, myspacing, rip music, homeworks, and other stuff that don’t require an HQ video card. They only play like once a month or less, in my pc of course. They don’t require pc’s with the latest video graphics card and it’s great that now they can use their pc’s to play and leave MY pc alone. ;)

4. Website says:

Hmmm, how hard is it to place a video in a website that works in all browsers? A retarted 4 year old could to this… but not on THIS site. And to top it off? the link for the “broken” video “for further help, ‘click here’” link is also broken.
    Never coming back. this wasn’t even a good try. buh bye

5. RdX says:

I would like to know if Intel are going to include this drivers in the linux open source drivers.
    Thanks.

6. miguel mauol says:

why not a benchmark result with old a newer dirvers?
    Why not a stage6 video with this flash and the youtube version?
    Why not a fps counter un a corner in the games?
    Perhaps becouse 985 is not for hard games.
    It would be great a hard gamers intel graphic card, but they are far away in preformance, and even in price/preformance, but they are the marjket leaders.
    Then PC market is more for working than for hard gaming, that is a little part of the market cake, if intel want this part too, work for ot, perhaps they can beat nvidia and AMD Ati, but not now.

7. Anurag says:

Hi I just installed new drivers and downloaded a demo of Fry Cry. In starting, game detected and set graphics options to medium. When I started the demo, everything was PURPLE!!! Yes purple. I wasn’t able to see a damn thing. Only way to come out of this was to set settings to LOW, and still water stuff looked bad. Tell me honestly, was it G965 on which you demonstrated far cry?

8. I am sure the review sites will publish benchmarks. Fraps is running in the top right hand corner of all the demos. What is Stage6?
    These drivers and this product is not meant to compete with discrete graphics solutions from ATI and Nvidia – there is no way a graphics solution that costs the same as a cup of coffee can possibly compete.
    If you really want to game like a pro – get a card from ATI or Nvidia. but if you are just a casual gamer, you can do it on G965

9. Rodrigo says:

Pretty nice… but if Intel really wants to commit with casual gaming community, it better launch the drivers with this high performance on the chipset launch or close to it…. when the G965 was launched? I cannot even remember that…
    And why the drivers for Windows XP support chipsets G965 and G35, but no support for G33 and G31?
    With G965, Intel did the same lame thing NVIDIA did with 8800… too bad… let´s hope this does not happen again.
    And casual gaming on integrated graphics was no crazy talk for some time now… see the X1250 integrated on AMD 690G chipset… Intel now can fight back due to these new drivers (that should have been released on G965 launch).
    Answering Nick Knupffer, Stage 6 is a cool website for video download, from Divx guys… learn more about them here http://stage6.divx.com/info/about or go to the website and check out the videos they have… http://stage6.divx.com/

10. Zeke B says:

So if they had hardware support for Vertex Lighting why was it never enabled in hardware, Intel doesn’t release chipsets often enough for them to not test it with their driver dev boys. This whole thing seems like a ploy to keep integrated graphics crappy and they’re just scared by fusion. Let’s hope ATI/AMD kicks the crap out of intel, if you’d released your drivers open source you’d have had this months ago! Who are you competing against? Matrox?!

11. Hern says:

This is great news, and now I feel sorry for upgrading to vista last week, because that means I will still have to wait for final drivers.

12. SgtDirtbag says:

Wow, this really looks impressive for an IGP.
    But I’d really like to know the configuration of the computer it ran on, including screen resolution and the detail settings (high, medium, low) of the games you showed. (especially BF2)

13. Greg says:

What about the T&L support for 945GM Express Chipset Family?
    Will it be included in the Vista version of the driver?
    Thanks,
    Greg

14. The config included the new driver, a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 E6600, 2GB of RAM and Windows XP with SP2 and all the updates. The games ran at several different resoutions from 800×600 to 1024×768.
    In answer to other questions: There are no plans to extend support for this to the 945G.
    If you would like to see additional demos for popular games – let me know and I will see what I can do.

15. Andreas Juch says:

I really love that G965 chipset. I bought it because of its linux drivers. They are really the best. I formerly used to buy AMD systems, but with them it’s nearly not possible to avoid ATI/NVidia binary drivers when you want a certain anmount of 3D power. Anyway. When will these improvements be supported in the X.org intel driver?
    Thanks for the great work!

16. PLACEBOiSTiC says:

Is something going to happen with the really lousy GMA 950 drivers?
    Intel should be ashamed, or maybe they are as they turned their back on the GMA 950, wonder why? (A)

17. Clayton says:

I’m trying to play BF2 with a Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset and it’s obviously not working…. Any ideas?

18. Clayton says:

I tried installing the latest driver from intel’s site but during the install it says it’s not compatible… I’m running on a Sony VAIO VGN-FZ140E.

19. Alexandru says:

ok.. this sucks really bad.. even though the 945 is 2nd generation now, you guys should still provide support for it. basically the drivers that intel provided for it are a piece of s%^*!!! many games can’t play, or they have huge resolution issues. like C&C3. it would play but only on medium quality and that caused it to be slowed down a lot!
    intel, the company that supposedly wants to give the best experience to its customers should launch at least one more driver release for the 945! at least fix some of the bugs that this release has!!!
    currently i am very unhappy with my 945 graphics from my laptop. it’s slower than the ati 200 that my dad has onboard on his laptop!

20. Intel does support the 945G – the hardware doesn’t support Shader Model 3.0 however. As I said – 945G is an older chipset. It can still run Vista in all it’s AeroGlass glory – and it is excellent for video. It sounds like you want a machine specifically for gaming – perhaps integrated graphics is not for you?

21. San Flores says:

This would cut down prices then of high end video cards!!!do post what games does this driver & chipset support …if possible all the best games…Up for another great technology!

22. To Alexandru, if you were sold a laptop with GMA 950 IGP graphics and told it would be ok for gaming then I’m very sorry you were mis sold it. You need a laptop with a discrete graphics card (oh and yes the ATI Express 200 graphics are better than GMA 950).
    Keep up the good work Intel its nice to get this sort of thing as an added bonus.
    Thanks

23. Howard Leibov says:

Clayton: The VGN-FZ140E is a Vista machine (it comes stock with Vista Home Premium x32). The drivers linked to here and discussed in this blog are XP drivers. “Equivalent Vista drivers are coming soon” was mentioned in the PS of the blog. My guess is you either downloaded the 14.31 divers discussed in this blog and tried to install them on Vista or you downloaded the Vista 15.6B Beta drivers, which are not the topic of this posting…

24. Ed Hurtley says:

The G965 and the G35 are the only Intel chipsets that have T&L. (The X3000 and X3100 graphics, of which, the X3100 on the G35 isn’t even out yet.) No other Intel chipset will benefit from this. That doesn’t mean that their other chipsets aren’t DirectX 9.0 compatible, they are, and can run Aero just fine. (The 945G and above. The 915G and before cannot.)
    As for Mac support, it’s irrelevant. No Mac has a G965 or G35 chipset. The Macs with Intel integrated graphics use the 945G chipset (called “GMA 950″ graphics,) which, again, does not have a hardware T&L unit. If/when Apple releases an updated MacBook, it will likely have a G965 chipset, and thus would benefit from this advance, assuming Apple and Intel get the drivers going (I can’t imagine they wouldn’t.)
    (I have no inside knowledge. I have never worked for Apple, and was a contractor in Intel’s server division 7 years ago, but have no insider knowledge of current Intel products or plans.)

25. tcsenter says:

>>As a previous poster said, where does this leave the G33 and G31?
    It leaves them G33 and G31.
    As with 945G (GMA 950), neither G33 nor G31 support hardware T&L capability. This isn’t a driver-do thingy, its a silicon-do thingy. If its not in the chip, no driver can put it there.
    Only G965 (X3000), GM965 and GL960 (X3100), and G35 (X3500) support hardware T&L engine. All the non-X GMA models only support software T&L, which is much slower.

26. titan says:

What about newer games like Company of Heroes (game of the year last year)? Or upcoming games like Quake Wars and Starcraft 2?

27. Company of Heroes runs on G965 at slightly under 20 frames per second at Medium settings. Tolerable for an RTS, but you can always lower the settings a bit more for better performance.

28. butters says:

Three questions:
    1) Why did it take about a year from hardware release to hardware enablement?
    2) What is the status of G965/G33 hardware shader support in the Linux/X.org drivers?
    3) Will shader model 4.0 support for G35 be provided by the Windows drivers when the chipset is launched? Will Linux driver support even exist?
    You can stop pretending that integrated graphics is the limiting factor. We all know that NVIDIA and AMD produce integrated graphics solutions that are quite a bit more capable than Intel’s offerings.
    I stick with Intel because the Linux drivers are less evil. Keep it honest. Give us driver support or don’t advertise the features. Idle silicon is worthless. Got it?

29. joe random user says:

The hardware T&L completely breaks Super Mario 64 under the “1964″ emulator – the graphics (after game begins) become a complete mess. I’m using the default plugins which come with 1964 v0.9.9 – no separately downloaded ones. If testing, uncheck “software T&L” in Video Settings. BTW even with software T&L, Mario’s shadow is missing :(

30. John Vestor says:

I am confused are Intel 82G965 chipset and
    Intel G965 express chipset one at same or different?s

31. Steve Vansickle says:

Keep up the good work! Our integrated graphic chipsets will get better and so will the drivers. When they get good enough, “causal gamers” who are about 80% of the market will adopt our chipsets as their choice for their gaming needs. The remaining “hardcore gamers” who are about 20% of the market will be left to ATI/nVIDIA. What would I like to see next? Obviously, increased FPS somewhere around the 60 – 80 range (20 is still too low).

32. Ben Sanford says:

I’m waiting for the G35 boards to come out for an upcoming build. I plan to use it primarily for HDTV video applications with Vista, and perhaps some minor casual gaming. Therefore I’m really interested in the HQV benchmarks with the integrated G35 graphics. Will this improve as drivers improve?
    I understand from some things I’ve seen in the media that DX10 support will be delayed for several months. Will a board purchased now (soon once released) work with the newer drivers coming.

33. iftekhar says:

The new driver really works great. now it gives ~40fps for nfs carbon, and fear , farcry which used to give ~30 improved too.
    I hope things will get better as the publish new drivers. And i really can’t understand the people who have problem with igp. it’s sth u’re getting free, if u don’t like it buy a new pci x16, that’s it.

34. alpha0ne says:

The GA G33M S2 board has GMA3100 vga so looks like this new driver does help some G33 boards

35. hugh says:

With the latest driver (14.31), 3DMark2000 reports that hardware T&L is not supported, and also the screen is rotated 90 degrees (not fatal for a benchmark perhaps but it’s a serious bug which would make a game unplayable). What is the proper place to report bugs?
    (BTW I had to run 3DMark2000 in Compatibility Mode (->Win98/ME) to get it to run at all under WinXP)

36. Rikku says:

I just wish Intel will do further improvements to clean up the remaining bugs and improve performance in the next driver release. After all, the architecture is programmable
    As for the Vista driver, are we expecting it at September?

37. Ed says:

I remember i read somewhere that Nvidia had more software developer on drivers then Hardware Developers.
    Which just shows now that Driver quality is much more important.
    As much as i would like an very decent IGP with good quality driver. I dont think Intel will invest so much many power into such a free product.
    Although i do hope Intel can have some Video Hardware acceleration engine built into all IGP. H.264 and VC-1 for example.

38. John Gardner says:

The G695 sounds like it would make a good co-processor for HPC. Has anyone looked at this?

39. Dave says:

Dear intel,
    I just purchased a Toshiba notebook with a x3100 integrated graphics chip. I thought I’d restricted to gaming only on my desktop PC… but now I can game on the go! CSS, UT2k4, BF2,COH, HL2…… YESSS!!!
    Thanks INTEL!
    And I read the x3100 supports shader model 4.0. I’m guessing the new Vista driver update for the x3100 will include support for dx10 then? Wow, if that’s the case I’m impressed.
    Keep up the good work!

40. arijit says:

hi can i run vista with full aero on this rig -
    pentium D820 ( 2.8 ghz ) , intel 945 GC chipset mobo with GMA 950 , 1gig ram …….. i mean run with full aero glass effects . if yes can i also play some old ( pre 2004 ) games at same time sometimes . i cannot buy a new graphics card soon i have to wait a bit .

41. scottm says:

The beta Vista 15.6b driver located here:
    …certainly improves things a great deal. With vertex now finally active, Bioshock, which previously would NOT run, will now run. Barely…but it will run. In addition the other game I’ve dabbled with, GTR2, shows much improved framerates. I am really looking forward to the “gold” driver hopefully soon. September guys?
    In the interim, I am going to try VMWare on Vista to run XP and their release drivers.

42. okay, uhm… im trying to play BF2 on a Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family, but the driver needs to be updated and everywhere i go, THEY DONT HAVE THE UPDATE!!! not even Intel…. wtf is up with that? the version i have now is 6.14.10.4297, i need to up date to 6.14.10.4299…

43. Polad says:

Well that seems like a good news at first but the thing is I downloaded and installed the above noted Graphics Media Accellerator driver for my Intel 945GM integrated video card and I still have the same issue with Battlefield2 game. It doesn’t even start(run) the game. What happens is it gives me the splash creen of the game then screen goes black for a few sec and then exits the game to the WinXP desktop. I was having this very same problem before this driver too. And though they claim they’ve solved this issue from what I see now they apprently haven’t :)
    For information here are the specs of my laptop: Intel Core Duo 1.66 Ghz / 2GB Ram / Intel 945GM integrated video
    Anyone has any idea of what I’m doing wrong here? I mean do I have to do anything else to active/enable some new features of the video card (maybe vertex shading stuff) after I installed the driver?

44. copx says:

I have tried the new driver and it is indeed capable of running a 3D game – namely Civilization IV. However, there are some graphical glitches. The leader background of the Kymer leader is completely black for example. Oh, and there is no support for anti-aliasing at all which decreases the visual quality of the game a lot. The performance is not that good either. It is definitely playable, but the animations just do not look right because of the low frame rate. Any hope for further improvements?

45. Brento says:

I’m looking at the Toshiba notebook with the GL960 chipset. Does the new driver run Civ IV? I’m just a caual gamer but would only settle for med res & reasonable frames/sec. I noticed the spec is for dedicated memory – is this a prob for integrated chips?

46. Mustafa Adel Ali says:

I got from 2 monthes a new HP pavilion laptop instead of my older one “still relatively new toshiba qosmio f20″ I was really bugged by the fact that the older integrated Nvidia go 6600 had superior graphical performance & I could run my fav & only game medieval II TW with an acceptable FPS only on that laptop
    I really hope that this new vista driver enhances the GM965 graphical performance specially that in a laptop you’re stuck with the factory hardware.
    my Vista computer performance with the 15.4.4 driver “still no hardware TnL enabled”
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz 4.7
    (RAM) 0.99 GB 4.5
    hard disk 40GB Free (120GB Total) 4.5
    Graphics Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family 3.4 ????!!!!
    Gaming graphics 251 MB Total available graphics memory 3.5 ????!!!!

47. Mustafa Adel Ali says:

I just downloaded the released 15.6 driver for win vista 32, Thanks for the good work,
    thought I couldn’t find any reference to enabling the HW TnL in the release notes,
    please confirm such feature in that version I just got the medieval TW expansion & I can’t wait to try it out :))

48. David says:

Installed the Vista 15.6 driver and what do you know it’s DX10! Well that’s what all the games have been playing are listing my graphics card as. I can play Counterstrike Source at Maximum graphics (with trillnear filtering and no AA). I’m very satisfied with the driver release and I would like to thank the team at intel that put this driver together. It really makes all the difference in game performance and I even notice Vista is a little faster now too. Well off to play some more games on a laptop I never even intended to play games on! Thank you!

49. Balaji says:

15.6 driver still does not enables anti aliasing is there any problem with the architecture,this drivers drops fps upto 6 to 8 in cricket2007,aoe3 etc

50. tcsenter says:

Mustafa,
    The Toshiba’s GeForce Go 6600 is a dedicated (discrete) GPU with its own graphics memory (128MB), just like a graphics card in a regular PC. It is nearly identical to the desktop GeForce 6600 GPU, except for lower operating frequencies and power consumption. Intel’s 965G has an integrated graphics processor (IGP) built into the system Northbridge chip and must share system memory.
    There is no IGP in existance today that offers performance comparable to a dedicated GPU like the GeForce 6600. The GF 6600 chip has over 100 million transistors. A typical IGP Northbridge today has approx. 30 ~ 35 million transistors for the entire chip, including the IGP.
    The GeForce Go 6600 added at least US$150 to the price of a laptop. The graphics component built into the 965G adds less than US$10 to the cost. The fact that your 965G laptop is ‘newer’ than the Toshiba is irrelevant. A 1997 Chevy Corvette would still out-perform a 2007 Toyota Corolla, in spite of 10 years between them.
    It will be at least three more years for the gaming performance of IGP solutions to reach the level of GF 6600, if not longer.

51. scottm2 says:

Anybody even TRY to run Bioshock with the new 15.6 Vista X3000 driver? I actually had better luck with the beta—the ‘gold’ driver locks up (or black-screen) at the load screen. XP drivers do work as well. Am I missing something?

52. tb101 says:

Hey guys i just got my Fujitsu Lifebook 2010 its amazing with this gm965 chipset but oh man is this x3100 gma awsome only thing is i have vista and every time i try to update to the current driver it says that it is not compatible. even when i try to do the driver update manually it doesnt even recogonize it what should i do any suggestions would be helpful?

53. orclev says:

Some time ago I read in a forum that intel was working on discrete graphics cards, and current rumor was a 16 processor card with a gig of video memory. I’ve looked around various parts of Intel’s site, and this is the closest thing to graphics cards being discussed. Any more info on this, or was this more of something Intel was toying around with and the rumor mill got wind of and blew out of proportion.

54. Juraki says:

I’m wondering the same thing that tb101 is. If the 15.6 driver is out for vista, and it includes the changes that the recently released XP driver does,is there any way to bypass the error during install and still use the driver without relying on (in my case Sony) to get the driver out in a timely fasion? I’d really like to use the driver straight from intel as I have a good feeling Sony is going to drag thier feet and take too long getting it out for my notebook (VGN-cr123e)

55. Ivan says:

I’m also curious whether it is possible to install a 15.6 driver on my HP Compaq 6710b (Mobile™ Intel® 965GM Express with X3100; Vista Business) or I will have to wait like Juraki for an official release from HP.
    I am dying to play Call of Duty 2, but so far I couldn’t even get into the main menu. I always run into a fatal DirectX error.

56. Ben says:

Juraki, and tb101 (i have a Sony CR120) – i got the new driver to install by following the manual install guide in the readme file as provided on the intel website. If following that doesn’t help, tell me which bit(s) you get stuck with and i can try to help you further.
    The driver seemed to make only a 5-10fps difference in Counter-Strike Source, and i have yet to try any other games (HL2 runs at 20-30 fps will all settings on high and no AA or HDR). However, i think openGL games will probably see a more notable performance increase (games with an nvidia bias like UT2004 and others). I base this purely on the fact that the settings are edited through openGL, so i could be wrong about that!
    I’ll try out some more games either today or tomorrow and tell you how i get on.

57. tb101 says:

Once again the updates are great but considering they dont install on the vista units they are just encoded drivers building dust on them. any other info on fixing/installing the drivers would be nice.

58. tb101 says:

Ok ill see if i can install it via the manual way again i tried the first time and it didnt work at all i guess ill give it another shot and let yall know in a couple days

59. jackn says:

I have HP 6710b notebook (GMA3100). I can’t setup new drivers because it’s said that this driver not working with your cumputer.When does rapairs this problem?

60. tb101 says:

Alright i got the driver to install under the manual installation… it seems that intel didn’t quite pay to much notice to the driver since compression to the installation file… it apperently is showing this because of the fact that there is no figure in the exe or inf files for compatability through installation of the exe file…

61. gemmaprod says:

So how does the hardware vertex switch work? Can I tell if vertex processing is on or not? Can I control it? Why is it nifty?

62. maryoosh says:

Hi!
    I want to ask you, when Intel is planning to release new version of drivers for VISTA with FULL support for H&W/Vertex Processing?
    Current 15.6 doesn’t seem to carry out geometric operations in some games performed hardwarly (examples: Test Drive Unlimited, Tomb Raider: Anniversary).

63. biranjia mukesh says:

i have purchase a toshiba laptop p30,win xp, series and i install a flight simulator 2004, but when i play the game the image is not good, i tried all setting, still not good..
    everytime a message appear that my laptop do not have programma to play the 3D games,….please can anyone help to sort out this problems…

64. mrwan says:

hey all i have a laptop with igp ati x200 graphics card iam thinking about getting another one with intel x3100 its 200$ difference in price is it worth it ????

65. dr.zeissler says:

hopefully apple will choose santa-rosa and x3100 for the upcoming macbooks and macminis that are expected in calender week 44 – 45 of 2007 instead of the new nvidia onboard series.
    please take care of the best drivers for osx that are possible.
    any opinions ?
    thx
    Doc
    PS: I expect cpu/gpu in one chip with raytracing optimization (SaarCore) from intel, that will be the upcoming killerfeature in 2008/2009/2010 and this will be changing the gpu market like 3dfx did with theire voodoo graphics in 1996.

66. Ragnorakk says:

hey, cool information and nice demonstration nick. i bought the c571nr compaq and was wondering if intel also plans to upgrade the 945 family with some of these features… its the gma 950 on my compaq c571nr which is running windows vista and is fully upgradeable to home premium/etc.

67. chris says:

Intel 965. Make it work for oblivion. The game is how many years old now and it doesn’t work on your ‘new’ drivers…that’s a bit scary. I will definitely not be buying another laptop with intel or any other integrated video card when I but another computer.

68. Eric says:

I am using a Toshiba Satellite…2G Ram and a Mobile Intel Chipset 945Gm express. I am having probelsm running games like Age of Empirs 3. I get a messgae indicating that my graphics adaptor is not compatible with the versions of DirectX installed…in this case DriectX 10. Is there anyway to install an older version of DirectX…will this help or should my Graphics Adaptor be DirectX 10 compatible.

69. chris williams says:

hi i would like some help i just got a new laptop from toshiba it cost £899 and the system is intel core 2 duo centrino Duo 1.8Ghz T7100 2GB DDR2 667 hard drive 120GB intel GM965 (X3100) its a toshiba satellite pro A200. im trying to update my drivers for my graphics but when ever i try install the latest driver from intel it says. the driver being installed is not validated for this computer. please obtain the appropriate driver from the computers manufacturer setup will ext. but it is the right driver help me!! i have windows Vista business but when i try playing games like the sims 2 and dawn of war the first time i play it it will say i have not got T&L support bla bla bla and some features may not be featured or something help me please i want my T&L and vertex shader 4.0 or 3.0 i dont have it it says i havent got it but this onboard supports it i read it please help.

70. Coolwhip says:

I tried the instructions on this URL here but to no avail (Probably because the instructions are for XP). I have a Intel 89245G Express chipset and I’ve checked if my OS was compatible with the requirements of the driver (and they are), but it still won’t change! I have the same problem as Chris Williams so if anybody could solve my problem, I would be very grateful.

71. Andre says:

Hi all. Im having toubles with my new laptop.It it an Intel Core Duo 1.66 Ghz / 2GB Ram / Intel 945GM integrated video. When I try to install Company of Heroes it said that I dont have shader model instaled in my system. I have the lastest driver for GMA and directx9.0c on XP. Any ideia why it said that I dont have shader model. I read somethings about 945GM and it support shader 3.0.
    thanks all

72. C says:

same problem as chris above: “the driver being installed is not validated for this computer. please obtain the appropriate driver from the computers manufacturer setup will exit”
    Can somebody help?
    I have a Dell with Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express chipset

73. george says:

I have some problems running games on my Sony Vaio Vgn-Fz140e. They dont start at all, or just in a window in the middle of the screen. Could that be a problem related to the drivers, or my computer has another issue. I tried different drives and checked the settings, did not help :(

74. tangles says:

I have a dell inspiron 6400 with the intel mobile 945gm graphics card. I tried to install Company of Heroes opposing fronts. Same dramas as you guys, no pixel shader.. have downloaded the latest drivers from intel and dell, but only one installed the one from intel gave me the same error mesg. Does my computer support this pixel shading or am I wasting my time ????

75. brian says:

although it improves performance of some games, the vista drivers are having a total wreck with older games which people with integrated mostly play. Vista drivers give less performance than gma950 and even 945 in some older games…

76. Dave says:

After reading this post I decided to buy a new Intel DG965 motherboard and while I do like Intel graphics on Linux and this board runs quite well with Compiz Fusion, the gaming performance leaves a lot to be desired. Even relatively simple games like Scorched3D are slow.
    Hopefully these driver improvements make their way into the X.org Intel driver soon. While I enjoy Intel’s commitment to Open Source I do not enjoy being left behind the Windows crowd when it comes to drivers.

77. Pak says:

i just got a Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family and i got the latest drivers and stuff for it, im wondering if bf2 is compatible with it

78. Scott T. says:

BF2 Didn’t work with my BRAND NEW Latitude D360. Has Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset. Todays date is 11/27/07!!! Unbelievable…
    I’m gettin an AMD!

79. William says:

Hi, I’m trying to play NFS Prostreet on my toshiba Portege M500 laptop with Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset, running XP SP2 with DirectX 9.0. But, the screen just turned black everytime I started the game. As I thought Prostreet requirements might be too high for my laptop, I tried installing FF VII, but I encountered the same problem as well. Does this Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset support 3D Gaming? Will updating to latest intel driver help? I tried to update to the latest driver and I got the same problem with some of you, “the driver being installed is not validated for this computer. please obtain the appropriate driver from the computers manufacturer setup will exit”. Anybody has some suggestions?

80. Jason Collins says:

Hi, I am trying to play FarCry with little luck.
    I have a brand new Sony Viao VGN-N385E notebook running Vista Home with a 945GM Express Chipset Family. I would like to play my FarCry game but the graphics are terrible. Is there anything I can do? Are there 3D settings which need to be changed?
    Any assistance would be appreciated….
    Thanks!

81. RLte says:

Hi, I recently got Battlefield 2 and installed it with my Windows XP SP2. I have 1 GB ram and I also have a Intel® 82945G Express Chipset for my Display Adapter. I double click on BF2 and then it opens up a splash screen, but then closes back to the desktop/ where i was originally.
    Im very distressed about this as this computer is brand new and BF2 is quite old.
    Any help?

82. RLte says:

Any help?

83. Devin says:

I wonder when people will stop complaining about integrated graphics. I’ve had this arguement several times with numerous users; people just expect too much from integrated graphics. They are meant to get you by, with the bare minimum; you paid somewhere close to $4 for it so what kind of video card do you expect for that kind of money? Even the lowest of the low descrete card, nVidia 8400GS, is a better gaming card than the GMA X3000/X3100, but it costs $50 and you paid the equivilent of pocket change for your integrated graphics. It’s not meant to rival descrete cards high nor low end; compare it to ATi and nVidia’s offerings in the integrated graphics market and you’ll see where it competes. It’s Intel’s first really successful integrated graphics that are actually feasible for light gaming.
    I currently have a few benchmarks from several different games on VR-Zone.Com (link below) accompanied by a few videos on YouTube that show a several games that work on the GMA X3000. I started the topic as a user of GMA X3000 integrated graphics, it is meant to allow fellow users to post problems, give feedback on working games and to keep everyone updated on information as it’s readily availible. Check it out if you’re interested. Oh and by the way, Battlefield 2 works fine…..

84. Bryan says:

Battlefeild 2 was ok, Far Cry had good graphics but the game play wasnt impressive, call of duty 4 that just came out looks very promising!!!

85. Ed says:

Those of you getting an error “the driver being installed is not validated for this computer. please obtain the appropriate driver from the computers manufacturer setup will exit”, download the ZIP file and follow the manual install instructions in the readme. It will install without a problem.
    Those of you who are saying their “brand new” laptops with the GM965 chipset aren’t able to play the game, make sure your driver version is 7.14.10.1364.
    I saw a huge difference in game performance after installing this patch (granted it’s still integrated graphics and you’re not going to be turning settings on new games past low), and I hope Intel continues to provides great updates such as this.

86. Lukas says:

problem with “the driver being installed is not validated for this computer. please obtain the appropriate driver from the computers manufacturer setup will exit” on my sony vaio fz140eb(Mobile Intel® 965GM Express Chipset) was solved with updating drivers manualy( from zip file) and now bf2 running on high video options without problems.
    p.s. bf2 should be run as administrator on Vista
    p.p.s. nice work Intel, thanks.

87. din says:

how to increase my graphic card memory to the maximum??my laptop has intel 945gm chipset..help me…my laptop is lenovo Y400

88. Johnny says:

i tryed downloading it but it said i dont meet the requirments.? what r they?
    and i have a dell p4 dem2350 766mb with intergrated vid card i have and older pc 98 p3 can i take that intergrated vid card and put it in one of my open slots in my dell pc to boost up game preformance or any preformance??

89. Thomas says:

Would the new driver help me play counter strike source on my laptop :
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
    System Model: EQUIUM A200
    BIOS: BIOS Version 1.60
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.5GHz
    Memory: 2038MB RAM
    Page File: 1681MB used, 2614MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
    DAC type: Internal
    Display Memory: 358 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 0 MB
    Shared Memory: 358 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    because when i do play css now i only have 10fps

90. thomas says:

why is the 7.14 better as the 7.15 wenn i play css with the 14(13-22fps) and with the 15(9-15fps) can someone tell my why and when the better driver for 965 is coming out,thx.

91. hust says:

yeah that be real great if someone actually gave us an answer as to when to expect the driver for vista

92. thompy says:

hey brilliant news, i hav laptop just for casual gaming and can now play bf2, my friend has a GMAX300 are there any drivers that will allow him 2 play aswell cuz we wanna play each other real bad,

93. davinder singh says:

i m using toshiba laptop with Intel on board chipset 965,has integrated video accelerated card intel X3100.But the problem i m facing is that i cant play high graphic games.It need to increase shared memory for display accelerated card.So reply me if anyone know how to increase video display shared memory……..waitin 4 any reply….

94. Ben says:

Hi there, I’ve been monitoring the progress of the GMA X3100 drivers since i bought a Sony laptop back in september with the X3100 chipset. The release of the new Vista drivers have shown absolutely zero increase in performance in all games i have tried (Max Payne 2, All source engine games (HL2, TF2, CS:S etc), Dawn of War, Civ4, along with many others).
    This may seem like a rant, but i would like to see some drivers that make a real difference to performance rather than a number of false promises that customers have been given.
    My laptop specifications are; T7300 Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB DDR 667 RAM, 160gb Hard disk, GMAX3100, and windows vista home premium.
    Thanks for reading!

95. Sam says:

hey, i just bought a brand new toshiba laptop with an INTEL GMA X3100, but i can’t update the drivers, i downloaded them from the INTEL website, but every time i install them a box comes up saying ‘The driver installed is not validated for this computer. PLease obtain appropriate driver from computer’s manufacturer’. Could someone please email me and help out beause i’ve spent hours trying to get the driver update but found nothing which works. Thanks!

96. Adam Dorrington says:

i also quite recently bought a toshiba laptop with a GMA x3100 and it says the same.
    should i downgrade to windows XP but im worried that the XP driver i have got wont work.
    can some one email me a link for the GMA x3100 driver for the toshiba equium a200-iv0

97. Flávio says:

Hi, I have recently seen a post in the Steam site forum, and it says Intel is working on a new driver for the mobile 945 GM to correct some game issues (Orange Box, Half Life 2).
    Is it true ? When will this driver be ready ?
    Thanks for helping !

98. waqas khan says:

please can any one tell me..i have intel d945gccr board its graphics does not support the (call of duty 4,NFS prostreet)..please can any one tell me how can i play and increased my 3d card performance..reply me as soon as possible.

99. TabletUser says:

Hi,
    I have TabletPC ASUS R1E-B1 with Core2Duo 2.4GHz, 4GB of RAM, Intel 965 graphics is configured with 448MB RAM, Vista Ultimate 64-bit, latest ASUS BIOS and latest Intel graphics driver (1/10/2008). I’m trying to play FSX, but I’m unable to get higher frame. I’m able to get 10 frames per second in areas without any buildings (or perhaps more then 10, but I locked in 10 as max value). When using Dense Scenery and flying in areas with buildings, I’m able to get 7 – 8 fps and 6-7 during night. I tried all options and this is the best result. I could change Scenery density to Normal or Low, but I want to land helicopters on buildings, ships etc. so I want to use settings Dense.
    Is there a way to increase fps or is this information about playing the latest games on 965 misleading (or lie)?
    Another problem is with Age Of Empires III, it works relatively good until I start a fight with ships. I get about 1 frame per 2 minutes and game basicaly stops. I have to click on map to move to an area where there are no burning ships in order to continue. So I have to build ships and send them to atack enemy and then quickly move somewhere else and hope that they defeat enemy on their own. I already disabled everything in graphics options. I have the latest patch 1.12 for AoE III.
    Is there a way to increase fps to at least 5?
    Thanks.

100. Cheah says:

hi guys i am wondering if i can play CSS with the max graphics and a resolution of 1024 x 768 with this specs:
    intel pentium D dual core 2.66Ghz (2 CPU running)
    G965 Express Chipset Family with X3000 and driver is updated with vertex 3.0, pixel 3.0 and H&L support on Windows XP SP2
    1.5GB ddr2 533 Ram
    please email me at stealthcheah@gmail.com
    thanks

101. Havoc says:

I have an Intel E4500 2.2 Ghz Processor on the DG965RYCK motherboard with 2Gb RAM. I’m having problems playing Test Drive Unlimited even in single player – the fps is just too low. Can anyone tell me if my system is capable of playing the game?

102. jogi says:

please, can anyone tell me what i have to do to make my G965 Express Chipset Family graphics(on HP Compaq 6710s) support ”vertex data” on win xp? I trying play -Pro Evolution Soccer 2008- and call of duty 4, and only works on low level settings!i have a latest driver update! Help please! Sorry on my bad english !

103. ahmed says:

hi i have intel 82945G Express Chipest family and the problem is i cant get battlefield 2 to open. i open it and the screen goes black for a few seconds then back to the desktop. if anyone know the slove of this problem pls tell me

104. adam says:

I also have a Intel 82945G chipset, it says it’s 256
    I need to be able to run “shader 3.0″ I believe
    plz help

105. Wynand says:

Thank you and well done Intel for excellent work, keep it up.
    If you experience difficulties in playing certain games then either:
    a. you are using the wrong OS,
    b. you installed the wrong drivers,
    c. you should rather not try to play games on graphic adapters meant for an entire different purpose in the first place,
    d. you should rather buy a high-end gaming system
    Please people, read up on different products, focus and try to understand that drivers are not miraculously going to improve your frame rate or allow you play *all* games at high-level detail.
    If you’re serious about gaming, get a gaming system, it’s simple.
    Intel did a great job on improving an already great product, stop bugging them with stupid questions and expectations.

106. Romero says:

I have a Dell XPS M1330 laptop, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz 2GB RAM with a Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family 448Mb.
    I just bought the Company of Heroes game, and I can´t even install it, because the installer says my video card does not support shader model 1.1.
    I went to downloadcenter.intel.com but I couldn´t install the Media Accelerator Driver for Windows Vista, because “the controller is not validated for my system”. It told me to get the appropriate controller from the system manufacturer. I went to Dell.com and downloaded and installed the Intel – Driver for the GM 965 express chipset family, but it didn´t work out.
    What can I do?
    Is there any way I can play “Company of Heroes” on my laptop computer?
    Thank you very much. chava.romero@gmail.com

107. Fish says:

Why the hell do so many Vista laptops come built with the GMAX3100 when the driver for Vertex Shaders etc hasn’t even been released?! According to systemrequirementslab.com my laptop can run games such as Crysis, the only thing stopping it is the lack of Vertex Shaders etc. SUrely it would make sense for Intel to actually FINISH the god damn drivers before releasing their stupid card?!

108. MAXB says:

I´m wondering on those graphics on my geforce 4 ti4200. That´s a magnificiency card.
    Now I´m looking on my g31 integrated card and wondering when this Half Life 2 graphics gonna fit on it.
    Taking a clear look, Nvidia still got best results than it, shame on me when I think that´s Intel Integrated got better than it.
    My comment here is about how long a Graphics card deserve the credits and how good a new card can be and worth the value.
    I can Play Half Life 2 with the graphics on top (or better) with G31 graphics integrated, or it´s just a wonder from my vendor when he said I can play it like the top new ones?
    BTW
    The better option still is a big look on the especifications, but when your old Machine was stoped? how to choose?
    Who can I trust? the vendor, my self, or the updates on the driver for games such like this.
    I trust myself when I go to a shop, but how this information are going around is very annoying.
    Anyway, anybody have a soultion to play Half Life 2 like half Life 2 is, with G31 Graphics integrated?

109. Edmond says:

Come on! What a tease! If you don’t have the Vista drivers ready, don’t post this blog! I have a Vista laptop and I really wanna play Battlefield 2, which won’t run…

110. Marius says:

I have a Intel(R) GM965 Express Chipset, its a Lenovo R61e laptop, i downloaded the chipset identification utility to double check that it is the correct chipset. But when i try to install the 14.34 drivers from intel, it says its not the correct drivers for my system? How can this be? G965 express is supported, coz my ghapics sucks at the moment

111. IntelJeff says:

@marius: If you got your Intel integrated graphics from an OEM (such as Lenovo), then you need to get the 14.34 driver from them. OEMs sometimes repackage Intel’s driver to integrate with their platform (e.g. hot keys, etc). As such, the Intel download driver won’t install over an OEM repackaged driver to avoid breaking the OEM customizations.
    @Edmond, @Fish – what Vista drivers are you referring to? This thread was started August 2007. Intel released Vista drivers with T&L support shortly after the initial blog post. Go to your OEM and download the latest drivers.

112. Hernan says:

my laptop only a compaq presario, dual core t2370 1.7 3 gig ram, and a intel x3100 Vista basic sp 1 ,all drivers, direct x are updated and all th games ive installed are running smoothly, CRISIS,FEAR, FARCRY, cod 4 modern warfare, battlefield 2, NBA live 08,CSS with medium settings to low, huh! what can i say, im so much happy with it, MY COMMENT IS, JUST UPDATE ALL THE LATEST DRIVER.

113. Arun says:

hi there … well will there be any driver updates for intel 82945G for windows vista …and can i know ..when will be the next drivers will be released …

114. anand says:

can direct x 10 be installed on intel express 82945g chipset? please reply fast cant wait!

115. Arun says:

well if u r using windows vista … directx 10 will automatically installed … but i heard that intel 82945G does not support directx 10 ..so when u type dxdiag ..it will show directx 10 but not sure whether it uses directx 10 feature

116. RABBIT says:

Well, Intel GMA 950 has a support for direct 10. I downloaded the new intel 4 series drivers and modified for gma 950 on vista and then installed. To my surprise the DDI version in directx 10 on vista changed from 9ex to 10. Plus, the games are now responding better. In other words u just need to modify the INF file entirely for ur GMA and install..Now even Need for speed pro street and carbon work fine and smooth. Get like over 25fps. If intel wants they can make these chipset better with the drivers & Yea pls keep in mind there is nothing like silicon or biult in hardware…Its all about the drivers…If the coding is not completed properly then u will have side effects….So, Intel should do something now and provide better drivers.

117. arun says:

hey Mr Rabbit ..how did u modify the inf and which driver did you download ( i mean which build number )… please reply fast

118. Arun says:

well Mr Rabbit … well how did u install that driver in intel GMA 950 and how to modified the INF file

119. RABBIT says:

Its simple to modify. Download the “Mobile Intel 4 Series Drivers for Windows Vista” from intel. Then extract the “.exe” file, you can do it using winrar. Then move to Graphics folder. There you will notice a file called Igdlh.inf or in other words setup information fîle. Now, make sure the drivers ur downloading the file version is 15.9.8. Ok…now do exactly as I am telling you…
    Copy the following coding as in its apporpriate places…
    = Under [Intel.mfg] copy this
    %iLPGD0% = i945G0, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2772
    %iLPGD1% = i945G1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2776
    %iCLGD0% = i945GM0, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27A2
    %iCLGD1% = i945GM1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27A6
    %iCLGE0% = i945GME0, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27AE
    = Under General Installation Section copy this
    [i945G0]
    FeatureScore=F6
    DelFiles=CUI.DelFiles
    CopyFiles=igfx.Miniport, igfx.UserMode, MedKrnG500.Copy, Opm.Copy, CUI.Copy, CUISDK.Copy, Resource.Copy , OpenGL.Copy , DX10.Copy , CLK9.Copy
    AddReg = igfx_SoftwareDX10Settings, igfx_SoftwareCommonSettings, CUI.AddReg, CUISDK.AddReg , OpenGL.AddReg
    AddReg = OEMStaticMode_AddSwSettings, HotPlug_AddSwSettings, General_AddSwSettings, Underscan_AddSwSettings, PwrCons_Cantiga_AddSwSettings, PwrCons_DPS_AddSwSettings, SDVOHDMI_VSI_AddSwSettings, NonEDIDMode_AddSwSettings, DynamicScaling_AddSwSettings, Enable3DContexts_CNTEGL_AddSwSettings, CRTHotPlugDefaultVrefVoltage_AddSwSettings,MediaSrcMode_AddSwSettings,MediaScaling_AddSwSettings, HDMICEATimings_AddSwSettings, SdvoDdcEdidRead_AddSwSettings, PipeOptimization_AddSwSettings, AsyncFlips_AddSwSettings, EnableInterlacedModeRemoval_AddSwSettings, ForceBorderForMAR_AddSwSettings, IntLVDSSwing_AddSwSettings, RedBlankingPnl_AddSwSettings, IncFixedSegWA_AddSwSettings
    DelReg = igfx_RemoveDeviceSettings, CUI.DelReg, CUISDK.DelReg
    DelReg = OEMStaticMode_DelSwSettings, HotPlug_DelSwSettings, General_DelSwSettings, Underscan_DelSwSettings, PwrCons_Cantiga_DelSwSettings, PwrCons_DPS_DelSwSettings, SDVOHDMI_VSI_DelSwSettings, NonEDIDMode_DelSwSettings, DynamicScaling_DelSwSettings, Enable3DContexts_CNTEGL_DelSwSettings, CRTHotPlugDefaultVrefVoltage_DelSwSettings,MediaSrcMode_DelSwSettings,MediaScaling_DelSwSettings, HDMICEATimings_DelSwSettings, SdvoDdcEdidRead_DelSwSettings, PipeOptimization_DelSwSettings, AsyncFlips_DelSwSettings, EnableInterlacedModeRemoval_DelSwSettings, ForceBorderForMAR_DelSwSettings, IntLVDSSwing_DelSwSettings, RedBlankingPnl_DelSwSettings, IncFixedSegWA_DelSwSettings
    RegisterDLLs = igfx_RegisterDX10DLL
    RegisterDLLs = igfx_RegisterDX10DLL
    [i945GM1]
    FeatureScore=F6
    DelFiles=CUI.DelFiles
    DelReg = igfx_RemoveDeviceSettings, CUI.DelReg, CUISDK.DelReg
    RegisterDLLs = igfx_RegisterDX10DLL
    =Just after General Installation Section you will notice the “.coinstallers”. Copy this
    [i945G0.CoInstallers]
    [i945GME0.CoInstallers]
    AddReg = CoInst.AddReg
    CopyFiles = CoInst.CopyFiles
    [i945GM1.CoInstallers]
    AddReg = CoInst.AddReg
    CopyFiles = CoInst.CopyFiles
    =If now scroll a bit further you will notice Service Installation. Copy the following
    [i945G0.Services]
    AddService = igfx, 0×00000002, igfx_Service_Inst
    [i945G1.Services]
    AddService = igfx, 0×00000002, igfx_Service_Inst
    [i945GM0.Services]
    AddService = igfx, 0×00000002, igfx_Service_Inst
    [i945GME0.Services]
    AddService = igfx, 0×00000002, igfx_Service_Inst
    [i945GM1.Services]
    AddService = igfx, 0×00000002, igfx_Service_Inst
    =Scroll a bit more further u will notice “End of Device Specific Inf”. Copy this..
    [i945G0.GeneralConfigData]
    [i945GME0.GeneralConfigData]
    MaximumNumberOfDevices = 2
    MaximumDeviceMemoryConfiguration = 256
    [i945GM1.GeneralConfigData]
    MaximumNumberOfDevices = 2
    MaximumDeviceMemoryConfiguration = 256
    =In the end of file you will notice “localizable Strings”. copy this..
    iLPGD0 = “Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family”
    iLPGD1 = “Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family”
    iCLGD0 = “Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family”
    iCLGD1 = “Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family”
    iCLGE0 = “Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family”
    There you go. Then just save the file again and close . Then run the setup.exe…During installation it will ask u wheather u wanna proceed with the installation or not. Just say yes…And one more thing when ur done installation. just open run and type “dxdiag”. You will notice that these drivers are actually WHQL DIGITAL SIGNED for GMA950. And also ur DDI Version will change to 10 from 9ex. If u need any assistance just scrap a msg and I will get back to you…Also the above coding can be used by any user of 945chipset. As I have modified the coding in a manner that all 945 chipsets will accept the driver for installation.
    All the best guys……Hope u guys give me some credit for the hard work…
    Enjoy ur self

120. arun says:

hey man ..supereb .. i was able to install the driver ..and it is showing DDI version as 10 and one thing …i am not able to get the information button on the Graphic properties …how did you run nfs pro street … for me it is showing nfspsdemo.exe stop responding … well great work man …. FPS has increased thanks dude …well any chance of hardware T n L drivers

121. lee says:

dear rabbit,
    after following ur advice, i still can’t run the setup.exe, it says “ur comp doesnt meet min req” is there something i left??
    thanks man, great job!!!

122. RABBIT says:

Demo versions will never work even if u have a nvidia or ati graphic card integrated. Because they are designed in such a way that There requirement is AGP…Try the full game………that will work….And Arun the information button is located on top with a letter i next to the close and minimize button. Dont worry, I my self wanna have a full harware T n L support activated for 945..But that will be like taking the whole coding back to the formula…..But again above drivers are now have activated completely software TnL support for ur GMA950….Also, I would also like to tell you that soon I will be coding or currently coding the next generation Directx11 drivers for GMA950 which are going to be released in 1st quater of 2009. So, expect to complete the driver coding by january 2009. And yes definately I will provide you all with the Hardware Tnl Support drivers for sure. Just need some time to get all these things done as to coding is easy but making it WHQL Signed is difficult thats what eats up the maximum time…..Anyways Arun let me know if u now got where the information bar is located….
    Thanks Buddy
    Appreciated

123. Jose says:

i have a question? is there a posible way to install this drivers (DX10) for XP users with INTEL 945 (950)???
    pls
    thanks
    Jose

124. JuiCe says:

Dear Mr. Rabbit – thanks for you hard work. I will be installing those modified drivers on my 945 in a sec but I have a question – will they make a difference for me? ASFAIK 945 is almost the same as 950 – in youre post you have written “I my self wanna have a full harware T n L support activated for 945″ and “But again above drivers are now have activated completely software TnL support for ur GMA950″ – Do those drivers unlock software TnL for 945 or not?

125. Jose says:

i hope u guys can help me with this question… :) pls based on the fact that INTEL relases lastes drivers (intel 945) only for VISTA… i will HAVE to chenge for Vista
    well the question is : is windowns VISTA ULTIMATE better for gaming than the other Vista versions??
    i have an INTEL 945+1.83 core 2 duo+2gb
    Thanks again

126. Arun says:

hi Mr Rabbit … well i was able to find the information button and to my surprise the graphics in use is more than 160 mb …that never happened before … ok .. i will try nfs prostreet full version and see … thanks a lot .. you rock man …

127. Rabbit says:

Firstly, let me tell u that directx is the main tool designed for any operating system to funtion smoothly…If there is a problem with ur directx or has got a file problem then your windows have got a problem….Because DLL files are stored in the library of directx on any given operating system like the main files are Run32.dll, Kernel.dll etc many more……So, realistically, its impossible to modify ur directx version….Windows Xp can run only a max version of directx 9.0c…..It cant run Direct X 10….Nor there is any way you can get one installed on ur system on windows Xp…..So, too my knowledge so far I am sorry you wont be able to have drivers of Directx 10 on Xp but if u switch to Vista u can……Yes all off my friends the official name of 945 chipset is GMA950………Yes these drivers have actually unlocked software Tnl Support for the chipset.
    Intel is not going to release any futher improvement or enhancement for 945 chipset any more…….
    The driver coding above is only for use of 945 chipset on windows vista and not xp….
    Even if u install Directx 10 drivers on xp,, u might think its installed but actually not because if u go to “RUN” then type “DXDIAG” and the check the version there which will remain 9.0c only and wouldnt change to 10….
    In Xp the drivers even if u modify and make it ready….during installation it will say that the drivers cannot continue because the current version of directx is not acceptable for installation…..
    So, take my advice all user of 945chipset change from xp to vista…to have all these benefits…
    Hey Jose!!!For gaming I wouldnt suggest u windows vista ultimate edition because its the heaviest edition of all but will suggest you Home premium edition….As this edition is free off all error and supports games also…plus make sure to increase your Ram to atleast of 2GB before switching to windows vista….And yea when you install the above modified drivers for those of u have got video memory only upto 224MB will now change to 256MB…..
    Sounds really great to see all you peoples having lot off queries about 945 chipset…
    If you have any more futher questions please write a scrap off and I would be more then happy to get you guys the best of best advice…
    God bless You all

128. Rabbit says:

Hey!!! Lee sorry to hear that ur facing problems while installation…Can you tell me your computer specification in detail…..
    Because the above drivers require you to have a minimum 1GBram…but I would suggest 2GB…
    Can also be that you might have not copied the coding correctly in the appropriate place as I have underlined….The coding above is for all user of 945chipset wheather they are desktop or laptop user deosnt matter…
    The coding is tested and it works perfectly fine……Just give me the detail of ur specifications…..
    And also the error code number if possible…
    Thanks and appreciated that you have a problem
    Will definately look into the matter and help you out with something My promise

129. Arun says:

well windows vista ultimate is good for gaming … hey how do we know that software T n L is activated …

130. RABBIT says:

Hey
    Mr. Arun, I would like to correct ur statement that vista ultimate is not the edition meant for gaming. Its vista home premium. Also, there is nothing like ultimate has got some special files of dx10 that premium deosnt have.
    For software tnl play a game that specifically requires tnl support. And u will notice that the game is now working. Like Need for speed carbon runs smooth now.
    There is no way that you guys can come to know because its there in coding and I have already coded above the coding for tnl software support.
    Hey ninja how are u…Well see if u can follow the steps above for inf file in my earlier post and if its too complicated then I will definately send u the inf file…

131. Sawana says:

my computer said i need to check for graphics hardware acceleration and dvds will play on my computer but it has no sound but i have sound on my computer what can i do?

132. Caprice says:

Actually I already tested the files that I posted above, using DXDIAG (knew about this already) does show that you have DirectX 10.0 (4.10.0000.18000).
    I believe the dx 10 .dll files were modified to work w/ xp, and registry files were changed around. Thats why there is the second file in that post that allows the change from 9.0c to 10.0 freely.
    I don’t think there is much real effect but I’m not sure. It is there 3rd version of those files, first started by the post in the article (that group already quit, and this new group started another one up).
    Anyways, again I w/ even directx 10 installed, the drivers are much to different from xp, and wouldn’t work w/o vista anyways.

133. vincent says:

I tried modifying the inf file and it keeps giving the ‘This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software’ error. Im not sure whether we are supposed to replace the code with the modified one or add the modified code along with the original. If possible, can you upload the file somewhere or send it to rullee2@yahoo.com. Or maybe you can try to paste the entire inf file here.

134. Jose says:

I just want to say that… Rabbit my friend u changed our lives :)
    u are the best
    and ty so much for all of the work and for ur information u rule!

135. arun says:

well Mr. Rabbit i have installed the drivers ..when i ran can you run it ? it showed that
    hardware T n l yes
    vertex shader 2.0
    pixel shader 2.0
    after this i am totally confused and i tried running prince of persia sands of time and still its asking for hardware T n L …even 3D mark 2005 showed that intel 82945G has the capabilities of hardware T n L …. how is this possible can we enab

136. arun says:

hardware T n l yes
    vertex shader 2.0
    pixel shader 2.0

137. RABBIT says:

Hi!!! Guys first for u peoples…U need to download the mobile intel 4 series graphic drivers from intel web page and then follow the instruction above for inf modification and change it on my above post on Aug 2nd.
    As, I told u arun it deos have the capabilities and will work..Currently I am working with the codes and will come up with some thing..
    I will email u the inf file to all the peoples but u need to replace it with the original one….U also need to have a 2gb ram on ur system to have these drivers installed.
    And my dear friends dont pay attention to any worst commments on this chipset…. Many people like to post comment negatively with out even knowing whats in hardware… I have got a detail study on hardware and when I say its possible then its possible with drivers…
    alrite guys will be in touch

138. JuiCe says:

This is actually a copy paste from my post on the intel9x Gaming news group:
    I am trying to run COD4 demo on my gma 945. I have installed the series 4 driver as explained by Mr. Rabbit
    When I run it I get the well known error:

——- Initializing Renderer ——
    ——- Client Initialization Complete ——-
    Attempting 44 kHz 16 bit [Windows default] sound
    ——- R_Init ——-
    Getting Direct3D 9 interface…
    Pixel shader version is 2.0
    Vertex shader version is 0.0
    Video card or driver doesn’t accelerate transform and lighting.
    Video card or driver doesn’t support UBYTE4N vertex data.
    Error during initialization:
    Video card or driver doesn’t support UBYTE4N vertex data.

After doing some research I came across this thread (http://
    forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=3634860#post3634860) where
    registry settings are being discussed. After renaming the cod4 demo
    runtime iw3sp.exe (MAKE A BACKUP) to HL2.exe (which is listed in the
    registry with SW TnL turned on) i d-clicked and….
    I have som screen flickering, changing black and a different error:

——- Initializing Renderer ——
    ——- Client Initialization Complete ——-
    Attempting 44 kHz 16 bit [Windows default] sound
    ——- RInit ——-
    Getting Direct3D 9 interface…
    Pixel shader version is 2.0
    Vertex shader version is 2.0
    Video card or driver doesn’t support vertex shader 3.0 or better.
    Shader model 3.0 rendering path will not be available.
    Video card or driver doesn’t support pixel shader 3.0 or better.
    Shader model 3.0 rendering path will not be available.
    Shader model 2.0 code path is available.
    Using Shader model 2.0 code path because it is the best available path
    on this hardware.
    Attempting 1024 x 768 fullscreen with 32 bpp at 60 hz
    Game window successfully created.
    Creating Direct3D device…
    Com
    TouchMemory: 0 msec. Using sum: 0
    Loading fastfile codepostgfx
    Loading fastfile ui
    Loading fastfile common
    Initializing render targets…
    Requested frame buffer to be 24-bit color with 8-bit alpha
    DirectX returned a frame buffer that is 24-bit color with 8-bit alpha
    Error during initialization:
    Create2DTexture( $floatz, 1024, 768, 0, 114 ) failed: 8876086c =
    Invalid call

Well I think this is a progress :D
    I have opened regedit (Start—>Run and type regedit), clicked on Edit and Find and typed ~HL2.exe – after finding the correct registry branch I have added a new Dword for ~iw3sp.exe and changed its value to 1 – and
    voila – the “new” error appeared again.
    This error (create2dtexture) is also seen by some people who have ATI or GF cards without S3TC enabled – when they force-enable it it is gone. There is a S3TC switch in gma 950 driver but for OpenGL only – is it already automaticly on for D3D? I’ve tried forcing it with Analyze3d but it didn’t do anything (i’m not shure if A3D is working at all on my machine). Is gma 950 S3TC capable?
    My suggestion – try installing the modified driver and than add a
    registry key for you game (if its not already listed there) Try
    switching between 0 (HW TnL) and 1 (SW TnL) to see which gives you
    better performace or even makes possible to run games which didn’t
    work before.
    COD4 is still not working – maybe I will try the full version

139. JuiCe says:

arun – I assume that 3dmark2005 is showing TnL capabilities because it is listed in the registry – open regedit and look for ~3DMark05.exe – it is set to 1. Try adding the name of executable of Prince of Persia to the registry (with a tilda in front of it) as a Dword and setting it to 1 – run it again and let me know if it worked.

140. RABBIT-is-my-idol says:

Hey guys just wanted to tell u that a new driver from intel has been relased…. but the problem is that is eliminates all of the new features like TnLand vertex shader…
    so what is best for the update… MOBILE SERIES 4 or CHIPSET 945?
    there is a couple of ways to update…but wich one is better?

141. JuiCe says:

arun – try to search the registry for hl2exe – you will find it in the section which lists other games and programms (like opera.exe 3dmark2005.exe and so on) Just add a new dword with the name of PoP executable (with a tilda sign in front of it) and set its value to 1 – than try to run it. Let me know if it works.

142. Espionage724 says:

I wish you could enable Hardware TnL in XP instead of Vista. Vista ran a lot of my games slower and no native EAX support just kinda makes me not want to go back to Vista….

143. RABBIT says:

Good news for all u guys….I was testing windows vista ultimate 64-bit edition and it ran smooth on mobile intel 945gm chipset….Also, no compromise on graphics performance…..it will also allow u to install any 32-bit applications with giving any error………everything is smooth………there is a performance gain by 20% on gaming in 64-bit for me….

144. Ninja says:

Thanks for your help rabbit but Nick Knupfter
    is right I installed the drivers but I still
    cant run any games requiring hardware TnL, it
    just speeds up the performance a little bit

145. RABBIT says:

Be a part of team means if u can find solutions to the problem then ur in right direction. But if u try to take problem out of a problem then ur a problem. I believe this site was meant for 945 chipset issues to be solved as a whole one team and not to say throw the chipset away. Its very easy to say go get nvidia or ati chipset. But reality is same u dont knw wut problem those chipset might be having that u need to solve. 3d mark 2000, 2003 & 2006 said 945 has harware tnl support means it has the support only drivers need to be written out properly. For those of u find this site not of any help please leave now.
    Also, those of u pass any msg like 945 deosnt have hardware tnl support pls show us the proof of ur msg.
    Like I said I always provide proof and my proof is go install 3d mark 2003 or 2006 and check system spefication. It^has the hardware tnl support.
    Also, 3d mark is something that even companies like nvidia and ati relie on them. trust me when I say this.
    Regards
    RABBIT

146. imad says:

hey all!! i have sony vaio VGN-CR520E .. its 2.1 core 2 duo .. 3 gb ram n 320 HD .. it has intel(R) 965 chipset family .. i installed cod2 today .. n its givin error .. does my card support these games ? i was thinkin to install cod4 .. but i dnt think so my card will support ? waiting for ur info .. n can i change my graphic card ? plz give info .. thank u ..

147. samurai says:

have studio 15 wih 2.16 core 2 with 3Gb ram. Does X 3100 support games like bioshock and call of duty 4?

148. Eugene says:

wow! three times faster than the actual g965, that’s quite good, but please built in more features, so that the quality is compatible to entry/midrange graphic cards.

149. jitendra says:

i want to install intel gma on windows xp but i coudn’t do so because of none suitablity of correct or matching chipset. how can i install the gma?

150. Darren says:

Nick Knupffer, I have recently discovered that my MacBook graphics is managed by by a GMA950 945g chip set. I have installed boot camp and am running XP to play games that have only be released on PC. What drivers can i install to optimise the graphics capabilities? Does intel have a driver scanner like nvidia to establish what is missing? Do you know wether Dawn of War one will run using the 945g chip set? evn tho it requires an AGP graphics card? Regards Darren

151. Ramir Tualla says:

I installed a game called “From Dust” but it is not compatible with my video graphic cards (Intel(R) HD Graphics) for my LENOVO but when I installed it to my HP which is Intel Pentium video cart with ATI technology it works I hope that you will give us updates so that we can use it to my Lenovo (Intel(R) HD Graphics) video card…