The Hiring Process at Intel—Cloaked in mystery…no more!

Learning, developing, improving—it’s a constant here at Intel. Whether you’re an engineer, a fabulous bunny-suited Fab employee, or one of us in HR who hires the next Sponsors of TomorrowTM; it’s a part of our values and at the heart of who we are! And, this month we’re unveiling enhancements specifically for all the job seekers out there!

You spoke. We asked people who were exploring jobs at Intel what we could do to make things better. We learned that many were not familiar with—and perhaps baffled by— our hiring process. Apparently, it was a mystery to many of you what to expect, who will contact you, how to prepare for an interview…

We listened. We’re thrilled to introduce a new applet which pulls back the proverbial curtain to reveal the five steps to getting a job at Intel! Accessible from every page on our web site, it provides a clear explanation and visual representation of our Hiring Process at Intel. And, you can easily reveal additional insights and tips—if needed—on getting a job here.

Go ahead, take it for a test drive! >

After you’ve taken it for a spin, we would love to hear back from you. Did you find it useful? Are there other improvements you would like to see? Today’s job market can be tough; we want to make things better. So, go ahead and give us your feedback!

29 Responses to The Hiring Process at Intel—Cloaked in mystery…no more!

1. Anonymous says:

Hiring process at Intel is pretty random! I had a chat with one of the senior hiring manager and he was bashing Intel HR left and right! They say they just collect the resume and put in a database which has close to million profiles and left it at the discretion of Costa Ricans! Even when he was looking for resume for PhD candidates, it is never forwarded to him. How can recruiters who has Art majors can evaluate the profile for PhD grads doing cutting edge research! I had interaction with many recruiters and they don’t even understand difference between electrical and mechanical! Why can’t Intel like company have separate database for PhD Grads??
    The only email I received from Intel ever is “you are not fit for the position” despite the position is extremely relevant! Intel needs to do something about this!

• Colon Zamora says:

Hi Anonymous, I agree that the process can be random, but that’s because it’s up to each team’s manager to evaluate and select the candidates. HR does not do any candidate assessment. Like the manager said, all they do is manage the database and take care of all the legal HR stuff. It is up to the hiring manager to either go through the database for candidates or go out and recruit, and then evaluate them based on their own criteria. I know that some recruiters don’t know about Mech Eng vs ECE, but that’s because there are so many different types of teams, and many only work with electrical engineers. Basically, if you’re mechanical engineer, you should be talking to someone in TMG (the fab/manufacturing business group), not the architecture or NAND group. Just for full disclosure (and I don’t know if this will make you believe me or not), I have interned at Intel 4 times and will be moving into a full-time position too. Each of those I had to go through the whole process again, and each time I still received the rejection email. That’s a general email that goes out to those that applied but did not get the position. So that doesn’t mean you’re not an applicable candidate, but that you may not be the best candidate. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. I know a few recruiters that may be looking for PhD Mech Engs.

2. Tim Hecht says:

So far I have applied 20 times to Intel in the past 11 months. I have 15 “No Thank You”s.

I work as a “Green Badge” contracter in Fab 32 ISC and I see people hired as “Blue Badges” straight out of the Navy for jobs in my department.

I served in the USMC in the 1980s and I can’t even get an interview. Does that seem fair???

What can I do about this?

• Rob Polston says:

@ Tim, I am the PM for Veteran Staffing and Recruiting at Intel. Thank you for your service in the USMC. As a fellow veteran (Army), I definitely understand the value that military experience brings to Intel. Feel free to send me your resume and I’ll personally ensure that it is included in our veteran pool of candidates. Obviously, I can’t make any promises, but I’ll do my best to ensure that your skills and qualifications are considered. Thanks.

• Prashant says:

hello rob

could you tell me about the skill set a novice in the field of electronics and communication engineering like me need to acquire in order to work with R&D department of Intel. Please tell me wether i need to gain some certificates regarding those skill sets. Thanks in advance.

• Sejal says:

Hey Prashant, we’re having some issues with our commenting but Rob asked me to pass on this reply to you…

“Hi Prashant, there aren’t any specific certificates that we look for but it would depend on the actual job. If a job is looking for a specific certification, it’ll say so in the description. In general, the best thing for veterans to do is to formalize their military training and experience into a degree such as an Associates of Applied Science and work towards a Bachelor’s degree in technical or engineering discipline. If you’re specifically interested in R&D, we tend to look for folks that have research experience (gained through graduate programs in engineering and internships with strong technical R&D experience). For R&D positions, we typically look for degrees in Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Material Science & Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Applied Physics. Hope that helps!”

3. Deepon says:

Its so amazing to see how Intel is always trying to connect with the candidates just like the candidates try to connect from the other side. The applet shows how much effort goes into the hiring process. Although I think most of the info was available in the website from earlier, the applet adds a visual effect for better insight..:)

4. Long time manager says:

If it’s any consolation, this is pretty much how it is across the board. Great reason why you should get in contact with the hiring manager and why the hiring manager needs to be maintain ownership of the hiring process.

5. Anonymous 2 says:

I am totally agree with the reply from Anonymous. After been rejected for a very relevant position for a few month, I gave up and got a contract with another company. The position I tried to apply in Intel is still open. Good luck.

6. Anon2 says:

^^ I fully agree to what you have said. There were few positions which totally matched my profile. And I have applied to more than 100 positions up till now and all I get is “you are not fit for this position.”

7. Tiffany says:

OK, as a recruiter… I must weigh in! First off, our tools allow us to do effective screening and searching of candidates. At the PhD level, we are able to identify candidates based on the information on your resumes as well as your profiles. It’s not just left up to chance. Keep in mind that hiring in this economic environment is extremely competitive. For every application a candidate submits, we get hundreds more from others with very similar backgrounds and educational experience. We do our best to present hiring teams with the top candidates. It’s not always perfect, and there will be times where we get things wrong. We are human. My best advice to any job seeker is to make sure you have a fantastic resume that showcases your key strengths. When recruiters are searching and filtering, it’s based on what information you post on your resume and it’s compared to what the hriing manager indicates are critical for the position.

8. Anu says:

Hi,
    I was interviewed directly by a senior engineer @ Intel and two weeks later I received an email with the subject “Intel Electronic Application Form Follow Up” from FADV. It includes the consent for background check which i was completed electronically. Email clearly mentioned that the background test wont be initiated until an offer and its acceptance and that this form is as a preparation for the next step in hiring process. However I wasn’t informed anything about the interview results yet. I am just wondering whether It means I have been selected for the position or or only one among several candidates that are chosen. I tried to match my situation in this applet but it doesn’t have anything about it. Any clarification will be helpful.
    Thanks in advance!

• Sejal says:

Hi Anu, The email from FADV you received is sent to all candidates who have been or will be interviewed. It does not indicate that you have been selected for the position. If you are selected for the position you would receive a phone call from the Staffing Department with the offer details. They would also explain that the Background Investigation would not take place until you accept the offer as the email you received states. Please feel free to follow-up with the person(s) you interviewed with to determine the next steps. Hope that clears it up for you!

9. Zubair Lutfullah says:

The comments are a little discomforting. I was looking forward to a job description that matches my profile and my passion. I sincerely hope whatever keywords the Hiring Managers look for are there.

Are they searched in the CV or in the text submissions we made as well?

10. Vignesh says:

Hi, i have applied for an intern at intel, Banglore but i’m not selected. May i know what are all the qualities they expect for internship and i’m a NCG recently i’ve completed BE in Electronics and communication

• Sejal says:

Hi Vignesh, each req lists the requirements for the position. Beyond the degree and meeting the core job requirements, here are some other qualities that help:
      • Sense of humor
      • Brilliant, but often the first to ask “dumb” questions
      • Ability to communicate well—especially in writing
      • Thrives in group settings
      • Passionate about team development as much as personal growth.
      • Views learning as a lifelong process

Common characteristics of most successful Intel employees:
      • Places teamwork and results over fancy offices, titles or appearances
      • Sees peers as friends
      • Trustworthy and reliable
      • Passion for a greater good and the impact on peoples’ lives
      • Willing to challenge the status quo (constructively)

11. Ismaeel says:

Hi
    I made an application for Finance role at Intel. A recruiter called me for some further information and told me that she will forward my CV to the hiring manager. Its been 2weeks and I haven’t heard back from anyone.How long the process normally takes ??

• Sejal says:

Hi Ismaeel, Response times to applications can vary. Some managers quickly review candidates and pick up the phone and call for a phone screen. Others can take more time to review their applicants. The best thing you can do is apply to all jobs that you feel interested in and at least 80% qualified for! We have many recruiters that review resumes and this is a good way to be seen by all. I’d also try following up with the recruiter. Good luck!

12. Jothir Mayanantham Pichaandi says:

Hi,

I just graduated with my Ph.D. in the field of material science. I am very curious to know what kind of qualities the recruiters look for in a research engineer? The most important question to me is, how to convince a recruiter that, i am suitable for the job in which I do not have experience?

For example, I dont have experience in fabrication, however I am very eager to learn the process. Its something which will take me forward in my research career. With the current economic situation it’s very hard
    to find a job. As i have seen and observed there will be a lot of people who will be perfectly qualified for the job.

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

jothir

• Sejal says:

Johit — The job market right now is extremely competitive. As you prepare to apply to any position we have posted, be sure your resume reflects any relevant skills that are called out in the job details. Right now, we are getting quite a few applications for each role so if you don’t have hands on experience and the manager is able to find several that do, obviously they are going to opt for a candidate with experience. That said though, it’s not always the case. At the PhD level, we consider your educational history and studies, research, papers and publications, and even GPA throughout all of your degrees. Make sure your resume is well ordered, not messy, and gives a good feel for the skills you possess. We definitely hire people that require training across the board. You don’t have to be an expert to land a gig here. Just keep applying to roles you feel capable to fill and hopefully your resume will bubble up to the top.

Best of luck!

13. Jothir Mayanantham Pichaandi says:

How do you even make your resume being looked by the recruiter? My advisor always says that try show your broad range of skills you obtain in your Ph.D. The job requirements always says that an certain amount of experience is always necessary. Is there a way to break this obstacle?

thanks,
    jothir

14. Ansari says:

Thanks a lot. Though i have applied for a few suitable positions before, i haven’t got the call. This blog helped me to get more insight of recruitment process @intel. I have always followed your blogs Sejal, as a recent college graduate i found all of the them helpful and motivates me to keep applying for the jobs. Appreciate it.

• Sejal says:

Thanks for your comment Ansari! I’m glad to hear that it’s helped and you’re not losing hope. It’s tough looking for a job, but keep at it–good luck!

15. Anonymous_A says:

Hello, I had two phone prescreening interview that did not go well about a year ago. I recently started applying through the career site again, but this time I do not hear anything back, except the “you are not selected keep applying” email. I know that while I was on the phone the other person was taking notes. I wonder if those notes “the not good ones” still show up under my profile and they are an instant NO for me for the new positions that I apply right now. Please clearly state if the interview notes are kept under the profile and being used as the initial screening for the rest of the applications after a phone screening is done… Or else, they are not and my application is considered as a new unknown applicant. thank you!.

• Sejal says:

Hi there! Interview notes are not tracked at a level that would rule you out–keep applying for openings that are a fit and you might get an interview! Good luck!