Should I stay or should I go? Evaluating new opportunities

As a recruiter at Intel, one of the main components of my job is to find experienced and qualified candidates that would have potential interest in the available position we are looking to fill. Many of the people I contact for those positions are rarely looking for a new job, nor have they even thought about leaving their existing employer. However, in some instances, the timing is right when I reach out to them and they then ponder the question: “Hmm, SHOULD I consider working at different company?”

So let me ask you, how long have you been employed at your current company? Five years? 10? 20? Have YOU ever considered working at another company? For some people the thoughts of being employed elsewhere can create an internal dilemma. Most people find staying at one company for most of their career to be easier as it affords them stability. And, quite honestly, we’re creatures of habit; it’s easier to stay with what you know. Plus, you don’t have to think about updating a resume, interviewing, starting all over again in a new environment, etc. However, changing companies for a new opportunity has definite benefits, even if the opportunity you may be considering is a lateral move.

Before I get into this further, let me caveat by saying, there’s nothing wrong with working in one place your entire career; however, there ARE benefits to expanding your career at other companies as well. For example, let’s say you’re a senior software engineer; you’ve been working at your current company for 12 years, straight out of college. All you’ve been exposed to is one company’s culture and philosophy, one way of problem solving, one management style…..you get the idea. When you work at multiple companies, you have the opportunity to be exposed to different software tools, systems, different management styles, a whole new set of challenges and how to resolve them. In essence, you gain multi-dimensional experience and perspective which is valuable to most employers.

If you’re at a crossroad in your current position or career but aren’t quite sure if you’re ready to make the leap, do your homework first and evaluate the pros and cons.

1. Research companies within your field of interest or industry. See how they’re performing and what others are saying about them. Do you want to go to a larger or smaller company? Both have pluses and minuses.

2. Talk to existing employees in the same field as you and get their feedback on some of your target companies.

3. If there are negatives in your current position or company that you would like to change or leave behind, use those areas as your primary baseline when doing research.

4. Based upon your skill set, determine if another company could offer you exposure in an area that you may not get at your existing company.

5. Do a self assessment: Are you sufficiently challenged or just coasting along? Is your career transitioning as you had planned, or, are there other areas you’d like to explore that currently may not be offered to you?

6. Explore the potential drawbacks of leaving your existing company? (401K vesting, stock, promotion)? Is it enough to keep you there or are there other non-tangibles that you would consider of value at another company that would offset potential financial disparity?

It’s a lot to think about, I know. However, if you’re good at what you do, chances are you may receive a call or an email about a new opportunity that you didn’t solicit. Before you politely respond back with “I’m happy where I’m at.” Take a little time and really think about it. Imagine what new possibilities may lie ahead for you before you say no. Remember, “Do what you love, love what you do”. :-)

Don’t want to wait for a call? Go ahead, explore Intel’s career opportunities!

13 Responses to Should I stay or should I go? Evaluating new opportunities

1. Kyle C. says:

Multi-dimensional experience and perspective is not only valuable to most employers, but something I feel many Gen Ys have come to expect in their careers. It makes me curious though about the expectations from an employer’s perspective. Many of my peers have never been with a single company for more than a year. Partly because of the economy, but partly because they realize it is not the right fit. It seems you may find this favorable if the individuals are becoming more knowledgeable, but certainly your HR department is looking to hire for the long-term. It is an interesting dynamic when opportunities are in short supply. Intel is definitely on my list of target companies (I’ve applied 3 times), but for many jobs out there I apply knowing it probably isn’t where I will be in 5 years. It is a challenge to express what I “love to do” when that doesn’t match up with the position description. I would be excited for experience that leads me to where I want to go.

2. Alex George Vinod Robinson says:

Hello Sir/Madam,
    I just felt so happy to read your post as it was something i was looking for.
    You will not believe me, my aim in life is, and will be to Work for Intel. I have just strieved to get a chance to attend an Intel interview which i unfortunately didnt get :(. Can you please extend me your support by giving me your email id? So that i can send through my resume to you in-person.
    About me : I finished my graduate studies this June(June 2010), and i am currently employed with SIEMENS.
    Job Profile Expected : Being an Engineering Graduate, i would love to work for Jobs which are worth my study. I can prove my expertise and mettle in Information Techology, Embedded Systems and Networking as well. To add, I am ready to work at any place all over the world if its for INTEL.
    My email id : alexgvr@gmail.com

3. Valerie says:

Hi Alex! I appreciate your enthusiasm and passion for an opportunity to work at Intel and thank you for your comments. It happens many times that a candidate will apply online to a position and not have the opportunity for an interview so you are not alone. Let me give you a few tips that will be helpful to you in the future. First off, don’t apply to every position you see. You should carefully read the job description and mandatory qualifications. If you feel you have all of the specific experience/qualifications THEN you should apply. However, prior to applying, you should ensure your resume is detailed and reflects the specifics that are being asked for in the job description. You should do this for any position you apply for at Intel or any other company. Take the time to read over the job description and specifically tailor your resume for that position. I’m not suggesting you fabricate or inflate your experience, however, you should look to see the terminology and the technology as it is listed in the job description and have it listed in your resume the same way. I hope my suggestions help you for future opportunities you may apply for. Remember, keep your applicant profile updated as well. Good luck and thanks again for your interest in Intel!

4. Valerie says:

Hi Kyle…I’ll be candid, when reviewing resumes or considering candidates for a position, longevity at each company is taken into consideration. Meaning, if a candidate has been in 5 positions in 5 years, as Liz Lemon (Tina Fey-30 Rock) would say “that’s a deal breaker” or at least it’s an area of concern for a recruiter and/or hiring manager. Although there is significant value in working at different companies in different positions, there can be a downside to “job hopping”. Therefore, you should really take the time to investigate the company, their culture, what type of career development do they have, etc. Strategy is usually beneficial in most aspects of life, your career is no different.

5. Eben says:

Valerie,
    I hope this isn’t too little too late, but as a recruiter you may be interested in me and the voodoo donuts, I mean skills, I can bring to your company. I am an RCG, so you won’t find me lurking through job boards looking for a career change anytime soon. It’s getting a career started that has me scratching my head. I’ll tell you one reason why myself, and everyone else it seems, wants to work at Intel.
    Like you mentioned, it’s important to change jobs once in a while to avoid atrophy and gain that valuable new perspective. But that doesn’t necessarily mean switching employers. Herein lies the appeal of working for Intel in my opinion. Not only does Intel provide great training and experience for entry level “greens”, but the company maintains fresh lateral mobility for the more geriatric albeit wiser “blues”. Sure you’ll still have to update the ‘ol résumé, and prepare for interviews but you get to stay part of the tribe where you’re already settled in. I think this, and strong ties to the community make Intel one of the greats. They have a good culture.
    Back to the job search,
    “Blerg!”

6. Valerie says:

Hi Eben,
    You’re totally right! One of the major perks at working for a company like Intel is there are so many internal opportunities. It can be like working at other companies within one company! Not many places where you can have those types of opportunities all under one umbrella.
    Thanks very much for your perspective!

7. Magdaline says:

Good morning everyone,
    I’m new here and I just wanted to introduce myself. I’m a native New Yorker residing in Corfu, Greece. I’m looking for guidance, I’m in the process for looking at other venues for work. I’m very familiar with Intel and I found out about this networking opportunity through LinkedIn. I’m looking forward to expand my job opportunities. I already submitted my resume.
    Great to be here.

8. chandan says:

hi everybody,i am new to intel as well as its networking area.I am an electrical engineer and have applied for board design engineer post.Can anyone help me out about what to do for this post?

9. Magdaline says:

Good morning Valerie,
    I’m trying to find my way around here. I have a few questions.May you please give an email address ,so I can write to you.
    Thanks

10. Kim says:

Hello,
    I am writing to introduce myself. I just applied for the Supply Chain Management job. I spent many years as a Conumer Products Buyer for various corporations and then switched sides of the table to work for various manufacturers. I am trying to parlay my skills from traditional retail channels of distribution into the technology industry. Life is a journey and we will see where this leads. Any and all advice is appreciated.

11. Valerie says:

Your comments have all been great, thanks for reaching out with your questions. I have some constructive suggestions for you when looking for a new position or switching from one industry into another that you may not have as much experience in. First and most importantly, you should network with as many people as possible that may have the type of position you’re looking for. Connecting with people on LinkedIn and joining relevant LinkedIn groups is a great first step.
    Secondly, if you’re applying via job posting on the company’s site, you should take time to read the mandatory qualifications of the position. Once you understand the exact requirements that would be a minimum for you to possess in order to be considered for the position, you should then review your resume and ensure that your experience in these areas are accurately and reflected in detail BEFORE applying or uploading your resume. Please keep in mind, most companies are looking for people that have the relevant experience, especially if it is listed as mandatory experience required. Recruiters and hiring managers aren’t mind readers, they can’t assume you have the experience if it’s not detailed and reflected on your resume. At the same time, you should not apply for a position if you do not have the mandatory experience required in the job description.
    As a side note, if you’re asking, how do I get the experience if no one will give me a chance? The best thing you can do if you’re still working is to look for any side projects or temporary assignments that will afford you exposure in those areas. Or, look for a part-time job in these areas where an employer may be more flexible with lack of experience. Even doing work for charities or non-profits in certain areas such as marketing or web design, would give you experience that you can list on your resume.
    I hope this helps!

12. Magdaline says:

Hello Valerie,
    I already uploaded a resume with the company.
    To be honest I don’t really know what position I’m suitable for. I sent you an email with my resume attached for your review. I hope you can be of assistance. I also contacted Intel on FB Discover -Intel Global .
    Thank You !!!!

13. Magdaline says:

Hello Valerie,
    First of all I would like to Thank You for your detailed answer. I uploaded my resume on Intel’s site , but honestly I don’t know what position I could apply for with my education/experience. I applied for sales/customer service. I have sent you an email with my resume attached for your review.
    It will be appreciated if you can give me some assistance.
    I wrote another post about a few days ago but
    I don’t see it here.
    Thanks for all your help.