One of the most relevant—and challenging—aspects of using technology in the retail and financial services space is how to ensure the protection of personal data on open platforms. In the guest blog post below, Chris Lybeer, Vice President of Strategic Development, and Erick Kobres, Director of Applied Innovation, both of NCR Corporation, discuss an innovative new solution that is the result of a fruitful collaboration between NCR and Intel. ~ Dave McKinney
Payment Protection and Beyond
From mobile devices to the Internet of Things, technology is lighting up the retail and financial services space. Every month brings innovations that can help make the customer experience more vibrant, efficient, and profitable.
But these technologies rest on a foundation of trust, and trust is eroding. Despite well over a decade of effort, bolt-on security solutions continue to put consumer data—and business’ reputations—at risk. Piecemeal security solutions also add cost and complexity for businesses.
EMV  and other tokenization solutions have helped to stem theft by protecting data at certain points. However, a broad range of consumer and personal data may remain vulnerable. Think of all the personal data we share when we fill a prescription, apply for a loan, or use a driver’s license for verification. Think about how valuable that data can be to thieves and hackers.
Secure Transaction Path for Open Platforms
NCR and Intel, long-time technology innovators and current collaborators, recognized the need for a fresh approach. Through their collaboration, NCR and Intel are creating a comprehensive, end-to-end solution to protect personal data on open platforms. This solution capitalizes on Intel’s industry-leading platform security technologies, including the hardware-based root-of-trust capabilities built into many Intel® processors, and NCR’s business and technological strengths as the leading consumer transaction technology company.
The result is Intel® Data Protection Technology for Transactions and NCR DataGuard, hardware and software elements that together create broad new solution capabilities for protecting personal information during a transaction and beyond. Intel Data Protection Technology for Transactions is compatible with systems built on select Intel® Core™ and Intel® Atom™ processors.
Software running in secure silicon that is available on a range of Intel® processors creates
a secure transaction path from the POS and peripherals to the server.
Intel Data Protection Technology for Transactions and NCR DataGuard protect a broad range of personal data, and for payments complement solutions such as EMV and point-to-point encryption (P2PE) to strengthen the defense against security breaches. With initial solutions aimed at retail transactions, and then banking transactions, Intel Data Protection Technology for Transactions and NCR DataGuard:
- Provide privacy, integrity, non-repudiation, and network hardware authentication
- Secure a wide range of consumer information in an encrypted pipeline that protects data from the moment information is shared, through processing the encrypted information in retail and/or bank secure datacenters
- Support all modern forms of credit and debit payment, including magnetic stripe, EMV, and near-field-communication (NFC) readers
- Work with all retail POS form factors that have the appropriate Intel processor inside, including fixed and mobile devices
- Let retailers use a consistent security management interface regardless of the POS type, peripheral type, or brand they’re managing; Software-based updates and centralized tracking and alerting become huge time-savers
Getting Ready for a New Era of Protected Transactions
Security is a long play. Here are steps you can take to prepare for this new security architecture:
- Recognize the opportunity. Intel Data Protection Technology for Transactions and NCR DataGuard provide a foundation for comprehensive solutions that protect a broad range of consumer transaction data. This makes it an important enabler for innovation at the point of sale, on tablets, and eventually many other transaction points such as banking ATMs.
- Educate your security team. Start learning about the capabilities of Intel Data Protection Technology for Transactions and NCR DataGuard. Be forward-thinking as you develop and update your security roadmap.
- Modernize at the point of sale. Protection-ready tablets, point-of-sale terminals (POS), and peripherals are shipping today. If you’re in a buying cycle, choose systems with select Intel Core and Atom processors inside. By doing so, you can be ready to activate Intel Data Protection Technology for Transactions as software solutions become available.
- Stay in the loop. Look for NCR to begin providing the increased protection of Intel Data Protection Technology for Transactions in 2015 in the United States. Our initial focus is on enabling our retail peripherals to capture and protect all types of data, with an emphasis on personal data. Long term, we plan to expand geographically as well as to develop solutions for other transaction-based, consumer-facing industries.
- Learn more about Intel Data Protection Technology for Transactions, visit www.intel.com/transactiondataprotection
- Read about Intel Data Protection Technology for Transactions and NCR DataGuard, see the Case Study and Solution Brief.
- Learn more about NCR solutions: visit www.ncr.com.
- On Twitter, follow Intel Retail @retailerinsight and @NCR_Retail.
 Named after its originators, Europay, MasterCard, and Visa.