This week, at the World Congress of IT (WCIT) in Amsterdam, Intel CEO Paul Otellini stood on the main stage in front of the most prominent IT professionals from over 80 countries around the world and said,***”Compared to the first billion PCs, the next two billion will use half the energy and have 17 times the compute performance.”*** Just think about this for a moment: twice as many, consuming half as much, and producing 17 times the compute; it’s an absolutely astounding fact that demonstrates the incredible energy efficient improvements that have been achieved in computing thanks to Moore’s Law and other technology innovations. While the reduction in compute footprint is impressive, what really excites me is what can be done with that 17X compute capacity. Responsibly putting this incredibly powerful tool in the hands of brilliant people, thus enabling them to discover solutions to the world’s most challenging problems is what Intel is all about. This is how we really sponsor tomorrow. Paul Otellini reminded the audience that, while ICT accounts for 2% of the world’s carbon emissions, “What is more important is what technology can do for the other 98 per cent. If we work together and use the microprocessor technology that’s available, I think we can reduce emissions by 15 percent by 2020 just by using the technologies we have in place.” He also noted that by 2016 Intel will also offer data centre solutions with 9x the compute ability, using the same energy and that, “this has the potential to transform industries”. It is a simple, yet revolutionary concept. And what we do here at Intel is at the heart of it all. This video says it best…no one does more with the infinite than Intel. To read more about what Intel is doing at WCIT, check out our here.
Connect With Us
Intel Corporate Responsibility Report
TagsChina Classmate PC climate change Corporate responsibility corporate social responsibility Craig Barrett CSR CSR report Davos eco-technology Education employee engagement energy efficiency Entrepreneurship entrepreneurship challenge environment girls and women green ICT IESC innovation Inspire Intel Intel CSR Intel Education Intel Education Service Corps Intel Involved Intel ISEF Intel STS ISEF08 Kenya renewable energy save the children science science fair Stangis STEM sustainability technology technology entrepreneurship technology innovation vietnam volunteering World Ahead World Economic Forum