Scientific American 10: Our own “Eco rock star”

Not sure if you’ve already seen Intel’s newest advertising campaign, but it highlights some of the individual employees in our company who are behind Intel’s history of innovation – basically, our “rock stars.”

The June edition of Scientific American includes a feature entitled “Scientific American 10: Guiding Science for Humanity,” which highlights individuals who have demonstrated leadership in using technology and knowledge to address society’s toughest challenges.

Some pretty impressive names on this year’s list – President Barack Obama, Bill Gates, Michael Bloomberg, and Todd Brady. Wait, Todd Brady?

Yes, our very own corporate environmental manager, Todd Brady, was recognized for his leadership in driving environmental excellence across Intel’s global operations. Our own personal “eco rock star.” And, while this blog post may completely embarrass my very humble colleague, I thought it was a very nice recognition for both Todd and for Intel, and an important acknowledgement that improving corporate environmental performance doesn’t just happen – it takes the sustained commitment of passionate individuals who provide the right insight, strategic thinking, and discipline to continually challenge the organization to improve over time.

Now, Todd will be the first to say that no single person should get credit for what we’ve been able to accomplish as a company in the past year – and it’s true. Getting the chance to work so many passionate individuals across the company is the reason why I feel so fortunate to have the job that I do. From Todd to my other EHS colleague Taimur who’s earned the nickname internally as our favorite “dumpster diver,” (watch the video to find out why) to Tom Cooper who works on Intel’s water management (see his recent overview of our strategy at Brighttalk.com - it is these often hidden “rock stars” who you may never have heard of – in hundreds of companies and organizations around the world – who are finding innovative ways to reduce environmental impact every day.

For more about the other innovative leaders who made a difference in the past year from electric cars and clean energy innovations to HIV/AIDs initiatives, see the Scientific American web site.

15 Responses to Scientific American 10: Our own “Eco rock star”

1. sonya says:

I just wanted to say that I really enjoy the rock star commercial. I would like to see a few more in the years to come. It fits into my new idea of being your own hero. Get inspiration from others to strive for your own dreams.

2. Jack says:

I will never watch another CBS show. Ever!
    I will never send my personal or corporate business to your establishment either!
    I have a 14 and 18 year old daughters and cannot imagine some old man joking about either of them being raped during a New York Yankee baseball game.
    Do you really believe this is the type of material your audience wants to see?
    I will be contacting various sponsors of this program and may others that advertise with your network to express my disdain over your programming.
    Sincerely,
    Jack Johnson

3. Suzanne says:

Hi Jack,
    So that I can better understand your concern and forward the right person internally, could you please provide me with some additional information about which program on CBS you are referencing? You can provide through our email contact form our our website – accessible through this link: http://tinyurl.com/lc6jtb
    Many thanks,
    Suzanne Fallender

4. Ursula Stein, LCSW says:

I just reviewed your ‘corporate responsibility” site on Intel’s website. Lots of talk about your responsiblity to the community, lots of pictures of women in professional roles.
    Then I see the Letterman show with Mr Letterman “joking” using the most vile, obscene and dangerous comments about Gov Palin and her daughter. You financially support this show and then expect your audience to think well of and respect Intel?
    Where is your sense of responsibility to the community and to families? I will no longer purchase, nor encourage our large coporation to purchase any products from your company. Furthermore I will certainly not invest in a company that tolerates a national TV host joking about raping a teenage girl!
    I will be forwarding my concerns to all my business contacts as well.

5. programmer says:

Susan,
    Does Intel really want to be associated with the type of show that advocates the mean spirited comments that Dave Letterman made about the Palins? What kind of “rock star” image is this?

6. Dan Weaver says:

It is time to reconsider your sponsorship of the David Letterman Show. Mr Letterman’s comments about Sarah Palin and her young daughters were unacceptable. His non-apology was unacceptable. Ask your staff if they have young daughters. How would they feel if someone implied on national tv that a professional baseball player ‘did’ their 14 year old daughter? 18 year old daughter? Said their wife/mother was a “slutty airline stewardess?” End your sponsorship, America is watching.
    Dan Weaver

7. Angry Consumer says:

You have been identified as a David Letterman & CBS advertiser. Due to the outrageous behavior of this sick and perverted pedophile, I am requesting that you reevaluate your decision to spend your advertising dollars supporting this sick and twisted freak. Next week I will begin recording this degenerate’s late show on my DVR for the purpose of identifying the show’s advertisers. Those who continue to support him will be boycotted. Thank you.

8. I find it hard to believe that Intel supports the rape of 14 year old girls. Sadly, that is exactly the message your continued sponsorship of David Letterman sends. Please reconsider whether your relationship with Mr Letterman is meeting the goals of your company. While you continue to support him, I will be unable to purchase any Intel products and will work to convince others to do the same.

9. Sal Samoht says:

Jack, Ursula, and Dan, you are ignorant about how corporations get their commercials on TV (watching teevee in the first place tells me that your basic intelligence is suspect anyway). You should be talking to one of the media buyers at one of the subsidiaries of IPG or Omnicom who purchase the teevee time for whatever corporation wants to target a particular market segment. And even if Intel is sponsoring Letterman, who is a moron like yourselves, is censoring his right to free speech the way you would like the first amendment to be interpreted? Right, corporate responsibility to me is protecting our first amendment rights. Why don’t you guys protect your own daughters? Is something wrong with you, besides your deficiency in critical thinking? I’m not even going into the old one about the ‘off’ button of your idiot box, because it’s probably glued to the ‘on’ position anyway. But I care very much about free speech. And it was reactionary yo-yos like you who happened to be in postitions of great responsibility and failed at their mission of keeping the fourth estate viable. You know, like when Bill Maher lost his job for telling the truth about a week or so after 9/11. If his free speech hadn’t been stifled so spectacularly, then it could have encouraged a few others in high-profile positions to speak the truth about the idiot in the Whitehouse back then. But no, whatever network he was on dropped him like a diseased blood specimen in a leaky bag. And what did you get? Silence. No criticism, except from the usual suspects whose role is expected and performed well, so they never reach more than a few thousand Americans (they’re writers by the way, you might not be familiar with Noam Chomsky or the late Edward Said, may he rest in everlasting peace), they weren’t on late night talkshows a whole lot. And Ursula, if you knew a little more about markets, you might still have your business as ‘lifestyle coach.’ Didn’t anyone tell you that there might not be enough people in the area of Florida where you were located to need something as esoteric and ultimately useless as a lifestyle coach? They are in Florida because they’ve already chosen a ‘lifestyle.’ They don’t need coaching about it. They need cheaper disaster insurance and electricity bills. They don’t need someone to tell them to ‘awaken their inner child’ or get in touch with their REAL feelings, or whatever jargon licensed clinical social workers are pushing these days (I left the US 12 years ago after realizing that it just wasn’t going to get any better in my lifetime, and moved to Jaisalmer, Rajasthan, where I live like a prince because I peddle something they need: smack, just kidding, English.) They want to be in a warm place and worry about hurricanes for 5 or 6 months every year. That’s about it. What else can you say about a state that allowed its governor to allow the state attorney general to allow its election 2000 results to be decided by the ‘non-partisan’ Republican (sic) Supreme Court, which allowed the governor’s big brother’s handlers to steal a presidential election? That’s right, if you can generalize about men as you did on some low budget morning talkfest, then I can certainly generalize about the Euro-American ‘elitists’ and Cuban-American revanchists who control that starcrossed state’s electoral politics. I don’t know anything about Jack and Dan, but besides you both being PWed (remember that one guys?), you can watch Ursula’s comments about men on that morning talkshow. I’d have to agree with her about that, as a gross generalization anyway. So Ursula, maybe your only problem is that you couldn’t handle the statistics in sociology so you went into social work. If you only knew statistics you’d have known better than to try be a ‘lifestyle coach’ in a place like Florida. Furthermore, I kind of doubt that the CFO at Intel is trembling because the Licensed Clinical Social Workers and ‘associates’ (state governments that can’t afford new IT equipment anyway) won’t be buying Intel products anymore. That .00001% drop in Intel’s global revenue is really going to shock the markets. But at least you’re getting your name out there and maybe you’ll land a real job before too long. I hear the ex-Pres. is looking for an ‘editor’ for his Presidential Papers. You might be just the person to handle the executive directives about ‘tactical guidelines when dealing with uncooperative members of media conglomerates.’ You seem to have an innate understanding of the role of censorship in a so-called ‘free society.’

10. Ath says:

I think it’s a perfectly fine joke…it is poor taste, but Letterman is not signed up to be a paragon of good taste. If you don’t like it, feel fee to change the channel. I think you are trying to use this forum for political activism. Bristol Palin signed up to be a public figure (by public appearances) and I think can be made fun of like any other public figure. There is no need for Intel to rethink sponsorship.

11. Maggie says:

Intel does so much good work. It doesn’t need to waste dollars on a Letterman spot. You can do better.

12. Dee says:

We think letterman’s insults of Gov. Palin were disgusting. We won’t buy another Intel product if it continues to advertise on CBS

13. Timothy Nye says:

I am disturbed by the thought of Intel’s continued financial support, through advertising revenue, of David Letterman given his recent inappropriate sexual comments. I am a resident of Folsom, home of a sizable Intel plant and the neighbors with whom I have broached this subject concur. It isn’t important whether Letterman’s comments were directed at a 14 or an 18 year-old girl; partisan sexual attacks cloaked as “humor” are unacceptable. No one with whom I have spoken cares whether or not there is “precident” for such comments or support the assertion that if Letterman is a comedian it’s open season unfettered by the bounds of morals or good citizenship.
    Believe me, any association with Letterman is hardly a badge of social responsibility. Please disassociate yourselves from any further support of his show. Any assumption that Intel is immune from the fallout from this controversy is likely misplaced.
    Thanks for your kind attention to this e-mail.

14. Richard says:

Sal Samoht – I sure hope you feel better now. You must have missed you evening medicine. Take a double dose and calm down. By the way, glad you are no longer in the US.
    As far as Gov Palin and her children, I say let Letterman make bad jokes about them as long as he does the same for BO’s wife and kids. Will never happen.

15. Sal Samoht says:

Richard – Thank you for the feedback. And thank you Intel for supporting Americans’ right to express their opinions in an open forum. It’s companies like yours that continue to give people in other countries hope that the USA hasn’t completely transmogrified into a perpetual war machine.
    Richard, I’m impressed by your proficiency in reading comprehension. You almost understood what I wrote, but not quite. How long has it been since you forgot what you were supposed to learn in eighth grade American History, 11th grade American History, and if you happened to attend a college or university, the American History course you would have taken there? Maybe those three teachers never discussed the First Amendment to the Constitution with your class. The chance of that occurring in all three classes is, sadly, about 1 in in 7. Maybe you were one of those unfortunate students. Otherwise, I’m assuming that you had no interest in your freedoms or those of other American citizens while you were a schoolboy, or while in college or university, if you happened to have been admitted to an institute of higher learning. And it doesn’t surprise me that as an adult, you still don’t have a clue what ‘the right to free speech’ means. So, you may want to take a refresher course in Constitutional law. If that’s too demanding for your intellect, you can find the Dummies Guide to the US Constitution at a bookstore in a mall near your home in the suburbs.
    The First Amendment is really not all that difficult a concept, in theory or practice. It says nothing about what a person should say, nor does it state that if a person makes a critical comment about a member of one political faction then that person must make a critical comment about a member of the opposition (there were no ‘political parties’ when the Constitution was written; however, political factions had already formed by the time Washington was president, thus my use of the term ‘faction’ rather than ‘party.’) Under the First Amendment, we can even slander or libel people or write or say obscenities if we wish. And the government has the right to enforce the laws that apply to those cases. But to assume that ‘free speech’ means something like what a second grade teacher would tell little Jimmy who has said that ‘Burger King sucks’ to also say ‘Well, MacDonald’s sucks, too’ is one of the most absurd ideas I’ve heard an adult speak. And I’ve heard some pretty ridiculous statements in my life.
    So Richard, after you get a basic understanding of the First Amendment, it wouldn’t hurt to find a writer’s handbook. No, sorry it’s not a TV program. Yes, you will have to read some more. And you should write, too. Often. It helps to practice. Your statements have merely confirmed the accuracy of my remarks when your first comment is a personal attack at me, rather than an attack at my idea. As a matter of fact, you don’t criticize what I’ve written which suggests that (a) you don’t understand what I wrote because your reading ability isn’t too proficient after all, (b) you agree with what I said but you want to make a joke and then give an example of what would be a new and improved freedom of speech clause, or (c) you send a reply about my comment because my writing impresses you and you want me to write another lengthy comment about the First Amendment and how important it is. But then you go and simply and ignorantly say that Letterman should make similar comments about President Obama and his family.
    What you have achieved in a very concise way is that you can repeat a tired insult and conceive one of the most innovative interpretations of the First Amendment’s freedom of speech clause that I’ve ever heard. Your conciseness is admirable, but the content definitely needs work. So, if you practice often enough, you can finely hone your skill and when you want to criticize someone, you can do so by thinking up an original insult. Don’t use an outdated and overused barb that was mildly humorous 10 years ago, but today is about as interesting as watching paint dry (no, you’re not ready for metaphors, yet). Come on. You can do better than that. You must have some innate creativity to assume that the First Amendment was inspired by the communal spirit of Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood and then written by the cast of Sesame Street.
    And If you would kindly give me your permission, I’d like to use your ‘comment’ in my American Culture classes. My students often don’t believe me when I tell them how little Americans know about their own country. They know that Americans are ignorant of other countries, but they can’t believe that Americans are ignorant of their own rights and the (legal) foundation of their system of government. Now, to try to pass your comment off as what a ‘typical American’ might say in regard to the First Amendment’s right to free speech clause may be a hard sell. But I don’t think so. All I have to do is remind them that in 2004, Americans voted for George Bush to serve a second term as President. And they’ll say, “Oh yeah, OK, we understand.” And they do Richard. They understand all to well.
    You see Richard, ‘outside’ it appears that the US only has two factions of one party, the USA Party, since changes in government policy are slight, if any, regardless of which faction holds the reins of power, especially in regard to foreign policy. US foreign policy is the number one concern of 95% of the world’s population when contemplating what the US government might be doing that will have some impact on their lives. That’s because 95% of the world’s population are ‘foreigners,’ Richard. But they also understand that the US has more destructive power than all other countries combined. They don’t think about Sweden or Bhutan or Malawi or Argentina a whole lot. But the USA can be ignored only at one’s own peril. Ask the poor peasants in Afghanistan, Iraq, and the Tribal Areas and Northwest Frontier of Pakistan. They aren’t dodging Argentinian missiles or Malawian ‘smart’ bombs or helicopter gunships from the Bhutanese military. Most of the world knows that there is only one country that is powerful enough and ignorant enough to try and tell the peoples who first invented civilizations how they should conduct their domestic affairs. And, they never know which country the US might want to invade next. But they are pretty sure there will be one. And that’s what worries them.
    Finally, your comment would be more beneficial for the body politic of the USA if you sent your idea about ‘fair and balanced’ political commentary to Fox News, that paragon of journalistic integrity, as an homage to their equitable dissemination of the activities of the American government. Then, after you have learned what rights are guaranteed to Americans who have enough money to hire really good lawyers, and you have learned how to write above the level of a Chinese junior high school student, then you might consider writing critical commentary. But make sure your target isn’t a bit more advanced in those skills than you are. Otherwise, you are likely to get another lecture about the rights of Americans and why those precious rights are vanishing faster than you can say Mahmoud Amadinejad. And thank you once again Intel for supporting Americans’ right to speak freely and responsibly as they exercise their first amendment right to express their opinions in an open forum. And Richard, I’m an American citizen just like you, except that I’m somewhat more patriotic, because I care enough about the Constitution of the USA to spend this much time correcting your bizarre interpretation of freedom of speech.