The King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre (KFSHRC) is the pinnacle of the healthcare system in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. With facilities in Riyadh and Jeddah, plus a children’s cancer center, KFSHRC provides care for the most seriously ill patients from anywhere in Saudi Arabia. Along with delivering advanced treatments, the center conducts leading-edge research and helps train the next generation of physicians, nurses and other clinicians.
Like many nations, Saudi Arabia faces an increasing demand for healthcare services as its population is growing, people are living longer, and lifestyle diseases are on the rise1.
KFSHRC recognized that modernizing its technology infrastructure would be essential to meeting future challenges in a reliable, cost-effective way. So, the center is migrating much of its data center infrastructure to servers and storage systems based on the Intel® Xeon® processor E5 family. KFSHRC is also adopting 2 in 1 devices with the Intel® Core™ i5 vPro™ processor for clinicians on the go.
KFSHRC leaders say their technology strategy is enhancing care givers’ productivity and delivering an optimized data center that supports innovative healthcare IT solutions. For example, they have:
- Reduced capital costs as well as ongoing costs for licensing, support, and maintenance
- Reduced floor space requirements by 50 percent
- Reduced cabling inside the data center by 70 percent
- Improved system availability by 90 percent
- Enhanced agility by enabling them to deploy new capabilities rapidly
KSFHRC’s technology strategy delivers important benefits for patients and healthcare providers alike. These include:
- More coordinated, patient-centered care. Powerful healthcare IT solutions and mobile computing can empower treatment teams to provide more coordinated care before, during, and after the patient’s hospital stay.
- Higher patient satisfaction and engagement. Patients and their families can experience shorter wait times, greater convenience, and fewer redundant procedures. Tools such as portals can help engage patients in managing their own health.
- Improved productivity, hiring, and retention. Healthcare IT solutions can help medical professionals work more productively and reduce stress. Healthcare IT modernization help KSFHRC attract and retain doctors, nurses, and other clinicians.
- Readiness for Healthcare 2020. KSFHRC is positioning itself to take advantage of technology-enabled advance that are transforming medicine.
Read the case study to learn more about KFSHRC’s technology strategy and its use of Intel technologies.
For more info on the latest in health and life sciences subscribe to our newsletter.
1 For example, see data from the United Nations World Population Prospects, summarized in Demographic Profile of Saudi Arabia and the news release Saudi Health Interview Survey finds high rates of chronic diseases in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, based on a study conducted by the Saudi Ministry of Health and the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington, available at http://www.healthdata.org/news-release/saudi-health-interview-survey-finds-high-rates-chronic-diseases-kingdom-saudi-arabia
Software and workloads used in performance tests may have been optimized for performance only on Intel microprocessors. Performance tests, such as SYSmark and MobileMark, are measured using specific computer systems, components, software, operations and functions. Any change to any of those factors may cause the results to vary. You should consult other information and performance tests to assist you in fully evaluating your contemplated purchases, including the performance of that product when combined with other products. For more information go to www.intel.com/performance
Intel does not control or audit the design or implementation of third party benchmark data or Web sites referenced in this document. Intel encourages all of its customers to visit the referenced Web sites or others where similar performance benchmark data are reported and confirm whether the referenced benchmark data are accurate and reflect performance of systems available for purchase.